1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Self Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Janine28, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Hello!
    I'm confident that I have TMS and this structured education program is working wonders for me. I'm wondering if others think that it's okay to to self-diagnose?

It's day 10 of being a student of the Structured Education Program and 11 days ago I diagnosed myself with TMS. I've done a bunch of research and no one that I'm aware of in or close to where I live is a TMS practitioner. I see that there are ways to Skype TMS practitioners (therapists, doctors, etc.), however, I'm very tired of any sort of therapy (a huge amount of my time has been devoted to seeing doctors and PTs for this pain.)

So I'm tempted to just continue on with my self-diagnosis. And yet, I don't want to pull the wool over my eyes. I feel that this experience with TMS has shown me that I am pretty good at fooling myself.

I appreciate any input others can provide into self diagnosing.

Thanks!
    Janine

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Janine,

The main reason for a physician diagnosis is to reassure someone that they have TMS so that
    -one doesn't ignore serious issues, and neglect important/urgent treatment and
    -one develops confidence in the TMS diagnosis.

Reading your long experience of pain, then the remarkable lack of pain in your "My Story" entry (after contemplating the truth of Dr. Sarno's work in your situation), I personally do not see the need for a diagnosis by a TMS physician. You had a pretty remarkable confirmation on your own.

You have had your own physicians confirm that there is no emergency, and in fact that the knees improved over the last years. You've had images made, and they don't indicate any severe issues.

Your walk around without the braces seems confirmation enough that it is TMS. But you need to have this confidence.

Many people self-diagnose by the way, and are quite successful with the TMS approach. Your case so far is supportive to do it on your own. But if you begin to have huge doubts, then see a TMS physician.

Andy B

Janine28 likes this.
  3. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Hi Andy,
    Thank you so much for your response. Your words help me hurdle the little bit of doubt that I had and helps me have 100% confidence that this is TMS. Thanks so much for the support and encouragement!
    Janine

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Janine. I'm with Andy. If you accept the TMS diagnosis and are getting results with the SEP, I think you're in a good spot.
    Incidentally, I corresponded with Dr. Sarno in the '80s, and was considering traveling to see him so I could take his class. He told me that if I accepted the diagnosis of TMS, I could save my money!

Shells and Janine28 like this.
  5. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Thanks so much Gigi! And thanks for passing along Dr. Sarno's response to you. Your and Andy's responses are wonderfully helpful.
    Best to you!
    Janine