1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Parts Therapy Second parts therapy / IFS Call in on Saturday!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by njoy, Nov 22, 2013.

1. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

There will be another Parts Therapy / IFS Call In on Saturday at 1:30 ET, 10:30 PT, 18: 30 GMT.

So far, the discussions have been lively. You don’t need to be a member of the mailing list to call in but you may want to read up on Internal Family Systems or have experienced another healing modality that uses the concept of parts: Jungian analysis, Transactional Analysis, Gestalt Therapy, Voice Dialogue and many others.

If you are in the US, phone or Skype (201) 479-4595 and when prompted enter meeting number, 18311499, followed by the # key.

If you are in the UK you can dial 2081969800 and enter the same meeting number, above.

Other nations can find connection numbers here.

2. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Hi njoy, I am sorry I could not participate. I was with my son and friends on his school carnival. It did rain all the time, but they still had fun. I could only participate in the drop-in chat in spite of my son's complains. He felt I had to dedicate every minute for him on Saturday. I did take the time to explain him about my pain and how I am trying to overcome it and how great this group is. Kids nowadays understand everything about online lists, so he does respect it most of the time. Sometimes he even tries to listen to it and participate, but i told him it is only for me.
    I don't know if it will be done this weekend due to Thanksgiving but I will be reading your posts.

I just wanted to tell you that I did buy the "procrastination" book and I am reading it, but I am having problem with some of the links, they not always open, maybe the same thing happened to you? I will let them know on the lists. I don't always procrastinate, only if it is something creative or something new, it has became a problem, so I am working on it.
    Saludos,

Leonor

3. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Leonor, I don't have the procrastination book and so far the links have worked fine on my materials. It's interesting that you put off new, creative things, rather than the mundane stuff (like doing the dishes -- I hate that SO much!).

Your boy sounds like a sweetie. My son was the same at about that age and I wish I'd spent more time with him and his friends. Still, I do know how exhausting it is and how much I needed my "me" time.

The call went well -- just two of us but we had a great conversation about Legacy Critics. More about that in the next post which is copied from the mailing list.

I hope you can make it next Saturday.

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

We had a fun time on the call last Saturday as we discussed the Legacy Critic and its role in the inner family system.

Liz Dyde (www.lizdyde.com) was there. She is a tms therapist in the UK and sent me a link to a form of EFT called Quantum Techniques. You can download some free materials at www.quantumtechniques.com -- it's almost too good to be true but lately I've learned to give everything a chance no matter how magical it seems. One of the 3 downloads is about parts work so is extremely relevant to what we are doing here.

Liz has also promised to send along some exercises to stop being affected by the negativity in people you can't just walk away from (family and coworkers are high on that list). I'm looking forward to that and will post on that, as well.

Thanks, Liz, it was so helpful exploring the Legacy Critic with you on the phone. I am preparing to tackle my highland Scottish ancestors and heal the lot of them right back to the Clearances or maybe the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

I do think it's important to become aware of the effects that ancestral trauma has on our present lives. Especially for sensitive folk who would rather not kill a fly.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Thank you njoy. I just checked out Liz's page and it seems great! I wonder how she does the "Emotional Freedom Technique". I think she has blended several techniques.
    Leonor

Forest and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Njoy, I missed the show
    I really was so busy minded that I didn't even know it was on again. I really missed talking to you guys, I've been doing my homework and im learning a lot. I really appreciate all that im learning and how I can look at different situations in a different more understandable format.

Id assume that its going to be 3:00 pm eastern this weekend too , right? I wont miss the next one. So sorry from the feeling - like I have a whoops messed up part but I know you'll say some words of encouragement that'll build little Eric up. Bless you Njoy and all who are participating. I really feel like this is a great way to express ourselves.

7. Liz

Liz New Member

NJoy- Thanks for raising the issue of the negativity of others. I have discovered that many of us who suffer from TMS can also be considered to be "highly sensitive". I would not have described myself that way but when I did the test I found I was. The originator of work on Highly Sensitive People is Elaine Aron and you can take the self test here. http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm
    When you are highly sensitive you take on the negativity of others and this can be a huge trigger to TMS. There are real positive sides to being an HSP too such as you have a highly developed intuition. However this also means you are sensitive to atmospheres and you will often pick up things that other people don't. You may also feel overwhelmed and need to spend some time on your own. You will understand it more if you have a look at Elaine's site
    Elaine's view is that HSP's are born that way. I don't disbelieve that but I'm not sure that we don't develop it due to our life experiences too but that's another debate.
    Another person you may want to check out is Judith Orloff. She calls the people who leave us feeling drained Emotional Vampires. I do have some little techniques that might help if some of this resonates with you but I need to get them in a format that is easy to post first.

Forest likes this.
  8. Liz

Liz New Member

Leonor - you are right in thinking that I do blend a lot of tools and techniques. This is because I believe that we are all unique and we respond to things in our own unique way too. One size definitely does not fit all in this work. I am very open to trying new things because if there is one thing that you can take from anything new you research and it works for you its worth the work. Some of my best learning has always come from clients. TMSers are fantastic to work with and my TMS tool bag grows all the time and may soon be too heavy to carry :)

9. Liz

Liz New Member

The link NJoy mentioned should be https://www.quantumtechniques.com. There is a free starter kit which downloads some manuals where you will see their take on parts. There are also some free videos under the library tab which you might find of interest. Thanks to Andy for letting us know the link wasn't right

Forest and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  10. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Herbie, the Parts call is at 1:30 p.m. ET (it's the Saturday tms chat at tmswiki.org/chat that starts at 3 p.m.). I was hoping you'd be there last week but, to tell the truth, had a wonderful time with Liz all to myself.

Sorry, Liz, I'll change the links in my post. I'm not sure if the vampire-repelling techniques would be helpful to me but I do want to see them if you are able to post. In fact, I come from a family of vampires and even rather like the critters.

All my family (including me) suffer from extreme negativity (born and raised as far as I can tell) but I'm the only one of the lot who has hope for change and actively works for it. So, in order to have any contact with my family I have to be able to cope and (mostly) I can.

Rather than highly sensitive to their shenanigans I am probably highly insensitive, lol. They used to get to me when I was a kid, and still can, but mostly I see them in a fairly healthy way.

This is why the whole idea of the Legacy Critic is so important to me. I would like to see the whole world healed which means, as Ghandi said, being the change I want to see.

Lofty, I know, but what else are we here for? :)

11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

12. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Forest likes this.
  13. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Hi njoy. I am glad I was able to call and talk to you. You were very helpful. After talking to you I realized that I am way too stuck on my inner critic to be able to advance. I bought the book "Freedom from your inner critic" and I started working on it, I know it will help me a lot. I already did the questionnaire of the inner critics and they are all critical except the Destroyer one, so I have some work to do.
    I will join the online community for this book also. Have you ever work with an IFS Partner for peer counseling? I feel I am not ready for it yet.

Greetings!
    Leonor

14. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Leonor and njoy, I joined the call half way through but didn't want to interrupt your session. I was going to say hello at the end but you were packing up to go and I didn't want to delay you. Sorry I was late to the party again. I had no problems dialing in, just got delayed.

15. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Hi, Leonor: I am working with the group I told you about (the Thursday call). None of them are IFS pros but they are extremely helpful to me. When you are ready, I'm sure you would be welcome to join as they are looking for new members. It was really good talking to you. I love that new Freedom book and hope it will help you as much as it is helping me.

yb44, I'm happy you could make it. Good to hear you had no trouble dialing in. I wasn't sure you were still there at the end so probably didn't give you a chance to talk!