1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. sciatic pain

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi
    Ten years ago I was diagnosed with a slipped disc and after about a year the problem was resolved. However three years ago after a bout of what was diagnosed as labyrinthitis I was left with one of my legs not performing properly.

Most importantly I should point out that I am 56and have suffered with anxiety and agoraphobia all of my life. I have never taken medication and anxiety/agoraphobic provision in the UK is appalling.

Anyway,three years ago my leg had what I assume was sciatic issues at the same time as I experienced a traumatic relationship break up, my dog died, my step-mother died, a friend committed suicide . I am isolated in many ways and whilst Iv was able to have various types of physio, osteo, tested for MS and examined for a mass in my abdomen (benign fibroids) my leg continued to weaken.

I have a high IQ am a people pleaser and a perfectionist. After three years of this inability to walk, does it sound feasible to you that this is TMS? Is there anyone in the UK who can help me?

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi, thank you for the question.

There is a lot that you're dealing with an from what you've written here it certainly sounds like your pain could be a TMS issue. Moving symptoms, pain arising in direct response to intense life challenges, character traits, all if it lines up with many of the common markers we see with TMS. That being said, it is very often quite helpful to see a physician that is familiar with TMS as they can break down your symptoms in more detail. I know that Dr. Straiton, based in Brighton, is familiar with Dr. Sarno and the TMS concepts.

There are also a number of TMS therapists in the U.K. My colleagues at the Pain Psychology also see people on Skype.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Guest. The best advice on anxiety and agoraphobia is Dr. Claire Weekes' book, Simple, Effective Treatment on Agoraphobia.
    It is more common than most people think. I read that it is more common in people who live on islands, such as England,
    but that it happens to many people everywhere. Agoraphobia can be overcome at any age, no matter how long a person has had it.
    The thing to remember is, it isn't fatal and you won't go bonkers.