1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Repressing emotions example

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Jul 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

I'm sure in overthinking this but I often can't tell if I'm repressing emotions or searching for emotions that simply are not there...

Here is a simple example...

Both of my small children are crying and I'm getting frustrated. I allow the feeling of frustration to be felt and then talk to myself rationally and say "this is annoying but kids do this sometimes. We don't need to get worked up over this."

A week later same situation.. this time no emotion present at all... This time around, am I repressing he emotion and should look deeper to see if I'm frustrated? Or did I simply teach my brain no big deal and it truly doesn't care this time... Which, if so, searching for emotions is just searching for a way to get upset in this case?