1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Repressed rage with know resolution

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 2scottb34, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 2scottb34

2scottb34 New Member

I was wondering about what to do with repressed emotions, that have come to light, that nothing can be done about? I don't mean past events, though those have come up as well. I mean things in our lives that in my case are causing intense anger and depression of which I can see no way of doing anything about. So that 'trigger' is always there day in and day out. Is it enough to simply be aware of these emotions? I'm taking my time with the structured day lessons to try and really get what each lesson means. I have been doing the journal writing faithfully. I've also been practicing mindfullness meditation as well, but.....I still hit this brick wall because of not being able to take any action on one of my biggest emotional issues. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie735 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, being aware, as you are, and connecting this to Dr. Sarno's work. That is the basic approach.

This is important for you, probably in some other ways, for your happiness. And it can relate to clarity, being real, less inner pressure in your life. But in its own way, it will change in time as you see more of your suffering, and follow your truth, or get support. I always go back to Dr. Sarno's statement that you "don't have to change your personality or situation, rather you have to see how this may affect your Inner Child (creating intense feelings), and how symptoms block our full experience of these feelings." paraphrased

He did add later to try to reduce the balance of stress vs relaxation, so addressing things in your life which are pressurizing may help.

There can be a great deal of growth and clarity coming for people who engage Dr. Sarno's method, but I caution you about putting more pressure on yourself to "stop suffering." To me this can be counter productive, because it adds more pressure to change, fix, and control, which are propensities which cause TMS. To the degree you can, try to engage the process over time, knowing that your deeper layers will get the understanding you are concsiously digesting. Try to be patient. I say all this without knowing your case, so take what you can from this, with respect.

Andy B

FredAmir likes this.
  3. 2scottb34

2scottb34 New Member

Thank you for the reply, there is a lot to ponder in your letter. Very interesting and helpfull.

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

You need to be aware of two source of tension:
    1. Internal
    2. External

Most of your internal sources of tension are mental or emotional habits and with some simple daily mental exercises you can make significant improvements in them. Some of the most common ones I see in my practice are worrying, negative thought patterns, or traumatic past experiences. Yet, within 3-4 weeks of coaching and applying these techniques I have seen 50% to 70% improvement in most cases.

To determine what are some of your internal sources of tension take a look at this TMS questionnaire I have developed for deciding where to focus first with my new clients.

http://www.fredamir.com/questionnaire (rapidrecovery)

As far as external sources of tension, I discuss this in some detail in chapter seven of Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain. Depending on what it is, there are many effective solutions that you can apply.

So do not feel depressed or defeated. What is important is that now you know about TMS. You know your body has not betrayed you and with some mental work, you can become whole again.

5. 2scottb34

2scottb34 New Member

thank you. Have filled out your questionnaire. Let me know what you think