1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Recognizing Emotions Connected to my Pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Murphy, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Murphy

Murphy Peer Supporter

Hello Everyone,

Day 8 of the structured program. I'm trying my best to make things work.

I am hoping to get some advice on a few things.

1. Recognizing emotions connected to my pain. I don't think I am very good at this yet, are there some suggestions for ways to help better connect pain to emotions?

2. My main issue lately is ignoring the pain and realizing it is not structural. I am really trying hard to do this, but ever since I was a kid I was told my physical problems are structural and I am having a hard time shaking this. I had a formal diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which effects my body head to toe. I try to tell myself that the pain is simply a protective mechanism, but it doesn't always work. I have began running again, and the pain has really moved around a lot. It is currently effecting the sides of my knees on the inside of my legs. My hands and arms and jaw have been effected lately too. I have been journaling a lot and am hoping for a good outcome.

I have read where some on the forum have attacked their knee pain by running when it hurts in the hopes to reprogram their brain. I must admit I am running for the very purpose of doing that but the pain is getting bad. I want to push through it, and if I truly believed it was not structural I would probably just continue running. I let my mind attache itself to every little pop and snap and pain in my body and use it as ammunition that I have structural issues.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Murphy

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Right now I am talking to my stomach about not having acid reflux which I have had for years. I have been using apple cider vinegar which metabolizes alkaline. But I stopped doing it a week or so ago. I had Mexican food for lunch. Spent much of the time telling myself I was not going to have acid reflux. I didn't. Now I have not eaten dinner yet but journaling. I feel pressure in my chest. I DO NOT HAVE ACID REFLUX. STOP IT. MY MIND IS MAKING THIS UP. It is working.

I walk 4-5 miles each day. I started in January very cautiously and slowly due to shin splints which I have had for 17 years. For the last 8 months they just come and go for no reason. I stop walking or just walk in the grass slowly then start back up to 4-5 miles each day. Here they come again. I DO NOT HAVE SHIN SPLINTS. I focus my thoughts on that area of pain. I also get edgy and scared of the pain but So far so good.

I am not good at keeping on doing it when it hurts. But I am good at telling it to STOP and GO AWAY. I still have some work to do on other parts of my body but I am going to get it gone too. I am practicing.

I am on Day 3 so more work needed.

Stock Trader likes this.