1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by EAsprts26, Dec 13, 2015.

1. EAsprts26

EAsprts26 Newcomer

Hey Everyone,

I am currently working on Day 10 in the program. I let the busy workings of life take over and have fallen several days behind, but I am back on track. I have just been cleared to go back to my ski patrol job, and I even went backcountry skiing today. I am very hesitant to use my left leg for fear of the pain and overworking myself.

Speaking of fearing the pain, I find it very hard to not give in to that fear. My pain is now primarily in the side of my left calf, but I do still feel it in my butt and other places in my left leg and foot. My pain is constant, and does not seem to have any triggers that I have noticed yet that cause the pain to be any better or worse. I have been good about not taking any medications and staying away from the old exercises that address the structural issue, but the constant never ending nature of this pain is hard to ignore. I will keep working at the SEP, and if anyone comes across this that has similar experience with constant never ending never changing or moving pain I would greatly appreciate your input and encouragement!

I think I am coming to a better all around acceptance of the diagnosis. I am re-commiting myself to this program and sticking to it. I had no intentions of not doing it, just let time slip by. The only real concern I have right now is how the pain is so constant and nagging. It feels like it has gotten a little worse in the last couple days too.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Eric. Your pain may have gotten a little worse because you are afraid of making your left leg and foot pain worse by using it as you soon return to work. I think you need to give yourself a strong dose of positive thinking that your pains will stop soon, and to be happy that you are going to return to work on a ski patrol. That sounds like wonderful work, very healthy outdoors and you will be helping skiers.

Try to keep your mind occupied and distracted by things you enjoy. I just read that the actor Dick Van Dyke has turned 90 and says he owes his good health and long life to doing things he enjoys doing... and to eating lots of candy and ice cream. I don't recommend the latter two. He wasn't always healthy, though. For some time during his famous years he was an alcoholic. I suppose candy and ice cream are substitutes to relax him.

Keep up the good work, Eric. Enjoy sking again.