1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jesse668, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Jesse668

Jesse668 New Member

Hi all,
    Has anyone suffered from myofascial pain syndrome? I'm just wondering how these big adhesions or muscle bands go away? I had a doctor tell me it was scar tissue that had to be broken up and released. Is this true? Or can this process get rid of those? It is hard for me not to think about the pain as I can actually see the bands when I look in the mirror. There are bands on the top of my shoulder near my neck that make it look like its swollen. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of these or any advice?
    Thanks!

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I have suffered from myofacial pain syndrome. I have been a chronic pain sufferer on and off in various places for many years. I worked with an excellent physical therapist for many years and the basis of her work is myofacial tissue release. Previously we had always had great results in breaking it up. But this latest bout of chronic pain in my right shoulder, neck, and occipital area(sometimes wrapping up behind my right eye) has lasted eight months now. I worked with my physical therapist for four months trying to release the trapped muscles that were in constant spasm and for the first time we had no success. I have been working with her on and off for 15 years. That is what finally led me to figuring out that I have TMS. Since working on the TMS these last few months, my symptoms have been moving around. I have more anxiety and sometimes I'll have a day or two of some old chronic pain problem(like bladder spasms). The interesting thing is when I have pain elsewhere, the chronic neck spasms and tight bands release. When I am in a lot of pain in my neck and head, you should feel how taut the bands stretching from my shoulder to base of my skull are. Its unbelievable. And yet when my physical therapist would do the myofacial tissue release that used to really help, sometimes it was making it even worse. She never described it as scar tissue though. She said there is a saran wrap type layer surrounding your muscles and when they are in constant spasm, the saran wrap(fascia) adheres together and traps the muscle in spasm. I am hopeful now that my pain has sometimes suddenly gone away in my neck, head and shoulder and when it does, the muscles are relaxed and I can't feel any tight bands, that as I recover from TMS this won't be an issue. And once I am out of pain, if the fascia theory is correct, I know there is a way to release the fascia because I have done it successfully for years. But at this point I do not believe that is the actual cause of the pain.

3. Jesse668

Jesse668 New Member

Thanks Anne, that makes a lot of sense. I have those same bands. I had never heard of such a thing until I experienced it myself. It is crazy that's for sure. Between the bands and the golf ball sized points, it's hard to feel a 'normal' spot i my back anymore.
    I didn't ever think it was possible to have these and not have pain, so your post is very encouraging.
    Do you recommend releasing the fascia or giving that up and focusing only on learning and journaling? I'm so stuck on that decision. I keep thinking it can't hurt to keep it up, but then I know we're encouraged to stop physical treatment.
    I definitely hear you about the symptoms moving. I get jaw pain as well and typically when I have that my back pain is less intense. It's crazy what out brains or nervous systems can do. I am having trouble thinking of reasons why my unconscious is so angry!
    Another question... If part of it is disliking pressure and my stressful job, do people recommend leaving the high pressure job? Or is just understanding that good enough?
    Yikes so many questions! Thanks so much for your support. I'm not sure if (Anne) you are still recovering or are 'cured' but thanks for helping to answer my questions. It seems our symptoms are a lot alike!

4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Jesse, I am still recovering. I have been working on the TMS for about 4 months. Don't be discouraged by that though. You could feel better tomorrow! I had a very hard time accepting that the pain was caused by the TMS and was not structural. I have herniated discs in my neck and I've also been suffering from TMS for well over 20 years. I know I am making progress but on the high pain days I feel like I am at square one although I know that is not truly the case. Of course I wish it were today but the important thing is that I will be pain free someday. All of your questions are very good and I have had them myself. I work with a TMS therapist via skype and he says basically that we don't have to start with the answer, solution or action plan. Meaning if the TMS is being generated by not liking your high pressured job, the first step is noticing and really allowing yourself to feel whatever emotions are related to that. Most of us are living too much in our heads, trying to figure it all out, and we need to get into our bodies and allow ourselves to notice and experience whatever is going on there. Sometimes when we do that, we discover unexpected things. I know when we are in a lot of pain, the last place we want to sit quietly is inside our bodies. And when we do at first all we can notice is how much pain we are in and how frustrating that is. When I first started guided meditations a few months ago, I could not really sit up and do them. I had to lie down. That's not because I am disabled. I walk 45 minutes a day and do all kinds of exercise. But that is different than sitting quietly and paying attention to my how I feel inside. I recommend you take some time and really focus on the TMS. There are all kinds of resources on here and many great books and if you can afford it, therapy is great. My past experience with myofacial tissue release is that I could feel it helping and I improved after each session. It definitely helped me get out of pain many times. Unfortunately, it didn't help me stay out of pain and then now it is not working at all for me. I finally stopped going to physical therapy altogether. If you are working on releasing the fascia and it is bringing you relief, then take the relief. There is nothing wrong with that. None of us want to choose pain if there is an alternative and its not like you are getting surgery or anything. At least you are aware that you potentially have TMS and if you can't get out of pain, or if you do and this pain or some other pain comes back, at least you have an idea what is going on. Accepting that the pain is not structural is really necessary in TMS recovery but it is also extremely difficult for some of us. Hope things improve soon for you.