1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pandemic Panic? Read this article

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Mar 8, 2020.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I’m c with a dash of f. I’m not particularly worried about myself because I’m sure I’ll be fine but I am very concerned about my people who are elderly, vulnerable or both. I’m also deeply concerned about how the hell the NHS will cope if/when the network of kin carers and social care gets hit. The Care Minister was on tele earlier and to say she is clueless is a generous understatement.

Twas ever thus.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

2C07CE92-AA44-4CFB-9C40-9317E95A3C97.jpeg

However this is a heartening perspective and really quite beautiful. x

Lainey, Lizzy, HattieNC and 2 others like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

@plum, as always, you find the wisest and warmest words! All of you, my friends, stay safe, take care of yourself and your family, friends and neighbors, and remember that every pandemics eventually ends!

Blessings,

TG

yb44, plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

As someone who succumbs easily to stress-induced anxiety, I'm feeling rattled and distressed. Not for myself, as I am extremely fortunate to be healthy and secure AND vaguely self-employed in a home office - but that's frighteningly untrue for many many many other people, and I am in Washington state, where things are shutting down right and left. And I'm in the middle of tax season (unfortunately not yet fully retired) and I have some elderly clients who I now can't meet with to help organize their paperwork (and they are more panicked about that than about the virus). And I'm right in the middle of a situation where two influential people at my condominium community took it upon themselves to forward misleading coronavirus information to everyone in the community (70 units) which I suspect they got from an email or Facebook - and they labeled this memo as coming from the "building representatives", of which I am one. But I was never asked to review what they sent out, and I'm pretty sure we need to issue a retraction, so I've been stressing about that for 24 hours. I literally just got off the phone with a neighbor who is in health and epidemiological research, and she agreed that a retraction is absolutely called for, so at least I am feeling more reassured that I'm not on the wrong track there.

I guess that would be an (f), @TG957 :confused:

Lainey, Aimee88, plum and 1 other person like this.
  5. TG957

@JanAtheCPA , my heart goes out to you and your neighbors, you are in the hot spot of the pandemic, and it is easy for people to panic, especially when people in your state are dying from the virus. I am in CA, it is not much better, still not as tough as where you are.

I found nexdoor.com being a great site, where people post good, encouraging messages and reaching out to the neighbors with positive, constructive offers of help. I find that as soon as one person puts out positive, re-assuring message, people respond in kind, and the energy spreads. Not knowing the nature of what those people are spreading, hard to suggest anything specific, but maybe by posting a number of re-assuring messages, like offers of food drops or extra hand sanitizer, or even now infamous toilet paper (how did this one became a prized possession?) could lower the tone of panic? Just thinking out loud....

Stay safe, take good care of yourself, stay in touch with friends, remember that immune system gets weakened by worry!

HUGS!!!!

TG

plum, yb44 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. had

had Peer Supporter

I'd laugh at that video if it wasn't so real and causing so much misery here even before the virus. It's another sign of the individualistic narcissism that infects this culture so no wonder a prime example is now the head of state. Somehow millions have been convinced being the opposite of decent, empathetic, and kind is the correct way to be.

7. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51880695 (Postcard bid to help self-isolating neighbours)

Now here’s some heartening news. This is an opportunity to bring people closer together, if not physically, then spiritually.

My answer to the poll would be c. I had a trip to the US planned for ten days time to celebrate my 60th with a bunch of friends and family, some of whom were taking flights from different parts of the country, together with my two daughters who were coming with me. My 98 year old mom is still going strong, despite a recent major health scare and extended stay in hospital plus the loss of her son at the end of last year. I am relieved not to go at this time since I would not have enjoyed the trip worrying that I could have carried the virus with me. I don’t know if we can all coordinate and regroup later in the year. Here’s hoping. Another good thing is I’ve decided to remain 59 for another year. :cool:

Lainey, Lizzy, Aimee88 and 3 others like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I hear you. Oftentimes I have to struggle to keep my cynicism in check but there are also countless decent, compassionate and genuinely caring people who are truly engaging in some kind and practical actions. For example, in my area a new group has formed centred entirely on providing all manner of services to the elderly and self-isolating. It’s actually really touching to see how many people are volunteering to help.

As my lovely dad says ‘‘tis a feature of life that bad guys get all the attention”.

Aimee88, JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice discussion everyone!
    I think it is helpful for me to read others' familial and personal worries and considerations.

Slight increase TMS -wise, including interesting lung feelings lately for me!! Too many hours reading up on getting sick! Combined with a project I am finishing, prepping for coronavirus home-life with my aged mother has added a new level of stress/urgency. I think I've been in a hurry since I came off the lookout in end of September.

I think that simply knowing that I have been under tremendous pressure lately, and that this likely could create symptoms is very helpful, and I think largely preemptive. At least that is my view.

I think I am finally ready for a nice long self-isolation rest, with my project (tiny home) near completion, the worker sent home, sitting on months worth of food and not planning on leaving the property unless necessary, and not planning to get the virus. I am finally relaxing! But I am the one who loves solitude. Most people I find just can't bear to stop their social routines.

Those who want encouragement can go to

staythefuckhome.com (apologies for the language, but the message is good)

I have made a few trips to stores with full-on eye protection, gloves, and mask. And have not been in my regular small meetings for a month. I feel very angry finding myself in contact with another who has not changed their life-style. It is like an STD: you're with everyone else that that person has been with!! In this, the anger is helpful for me to change my boundaries and do what I think is important for me, including no contact, and protective gear with my mother until we're both sure neither of us has it. I am taking this very seriously, perhaps obsessively, yet I've been tracking it for two months, and everything I learn and recommend to friends has born out. I feel good to take my own path, and stick to my guns. Boundaries.

I agree with Jan and others that I feel very sorry for those who must still be in the world, exposing themselves daily, to make ends meet. Or the homeless who live together and meet in groups for food and shelter. Even the politicians who must meet in order to keep their positions. And all the health workers with so little protective gear. I can't fathom what I would do...

Beautiful sentiment from Ungar Plum!

My sufi teacher said this last night:

Your heart is a jewel with light coming through.

May we cherish our time here, and know our precious hearts!

Andy

Aimee88, JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, after saying my TMS remained unchanged, I experienced a huge flair in shoulder and neck tension which became a tension headache as the day wore on. Why? Like you I’d spent some time reading about the virus and the current state of social play. My concerns are still centred on our elderly parents but they are taking it all very much in their stride.

Here in the UK our Health Minister announced that all over 70’s will imminently be expected to self-isolate for a longtime. My ever-philosophical dad said that this is fine and he intends to wile away this time in the garden and reading. I think turning to more creative and contemplative endeavours is the way to go.

Mine too. After years of not catching either cold or flu, I succumbed twice to particularly debilitating flu following periods of insane and prolonged stress which left me emotionally exhausted and therefore physically vulnerable. I learned the hard way how stress dramatically impacts upon our immune system which as we know is a costume party for TMS.

Isn’t solitude heavenly. I shall follow my dad’s lead and spend time outdoors losing myself in fiction.

For all the carers I know (myself included) it’s business as usual. My dear brother assumed all carers would be tested prior to continuing ministrations but I pointed out that there are over 6 million kin carers, over 1.5 million social carers, and then there are all the other health care professionals... mind blowing stuff which speaks to the vital nature of hunkering down as much as possible.

I’m also ramping up my routine care by eating more nutrient dense food and doing all I can to support robust immune function. I do acknowledge the potential placebo effect here but as @JanAtheCPA wisely says, we can use it to advantage.

Good food. Rest. Solitude. Quietness. Nature. Love.
    All good for the soul. ❤️

Aimee88 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  12. Sita

Sita Well known member

This is a nice time for introverts. I'm joking.

I agree that self care is so important for us, TMS-ers. I was getting a little stressed out this morning so I decided to go out for a walk in the forest. It was so nice, quiet, only 3 people with dogs. After 30 min when I returned home, I was a different person. Mather nature is so soothing.

Take care everyone!

Aimee88, TG957, plum and 1 other person like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I self-quarantine every year for tax season... Not a joke. (LOL, but it is).

I woke up this morning to read the new posts from @Andy Bayliss and @plum and I felt better immediately.

Then headed out for a walk down to Lake Washington with a neighbor (maintaining 6-foot distancing, of course) in crisp sunny weather, where we caught a great view of Mt. Rainier from the end of a pier. Even better!

But now - back to the tax returns. I'm REALLY lucky that I'm semi-retired and now work from home. Haven't met face-to-face with most clients in years! The majority of my seniors are internet-savvy and can use my secure portal. I'm going to try to help another sort her paperwork over the phone later today. I told her to have a supply of sticky notes ready to mark what Jan does and does not want.

I am very grateful for all of these things at the moment. And for this community.

And this :hilarious:

Aimee88, TG957, Sita and 1 other person like this.
  14. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I feel that ;)

This sounds gorgeous. Take care sweet one x

Sita likes this.
  15. MIsty152

MIsty152 Peer Supporter

I definetly notice an increase in symptoms. Just panicked because my grandma is ill (flu or corona, we dont know) and she did not pick up her Phone. I attended to myself to calm down, took a hot shower to relax abit, and after that I noticed a significant decrease in symptoms. Attending to your feelings does really help. And now I've just heard my grandma was called alot today so she had decided to put her phone away. Pffff..

Just took some valium to stay calm. Normally try to stay away from sleepmedication, but I really have to sleep tonight.

Love to all of you! We'll get trough this.

TG957, plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This is perfect. Good on you for doing something so effective and calming yourself down. It’s really important to break the cycle before it takes hold and a little bit of self-care goes a long way. I favour showers and baths too for the emotional cleansing power of water but find a walk, especially in Nature to be a great tonic.

I guess they’ll be quite a few annoying experiences during this time so it does well to have tools to counter them.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  17. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Plum,

Your father sounds like a wise man. I have to understand that my mother has lived a long life, and wisdom which is beyond my understanding sometimes.

Be well!!

Andy

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  18. TG957

We are living in strange times when having a flu is good news - see the chart below.

Folks, wash your hands, meditate and try to get out for walks! I have been working mostly from home, but long hours due to the lockdown situation and it is exhausting. Reading your messages brings me great comfort. Stay safe and healthy!

upload_2020-3-17_13-47-13.png

plum likes this.
  19. Sita

Sita Well known member

20. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Thank you for this thread. It's just what I needed today. I'm so glad I stopped by. Thank you, everyone.

Sita, plum and JanAtheCPA like this.