1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Pain comes and anxiety goes away, pain goes away and anxiety comes around

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jf77, Feb 16, 2019.

1. jf77

jf77 New Member

After a long period of about 2 years without pain, it suddenly came back a few weeks ago. I quickly managed to identify it as TMS but I also realized that my anxiety was calmed when the pain was at its strongest and then after some TMS work, the pain is going down but my anxiety is coming back.

Any recommendations in terms of the anxiety? Is it too another layer of TMS or is the pain just a way to distract me from the anxiety?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi jf77,

Dr. Sarno teaches us that these two conditions --pain and anxiety-- alternate, as you may know. So first, recognize what is going on, and I suggest you don't be too concerned. You are simply seeing TMS functioning.

I suggest you allow mindful, non-reactive space for the anxiety. Simply acknowledging anxiety, and having self-compassion for your experience is helpful. Soothing, calming self-talk, without attachment to results is helpful.

The anxiety is itself an alarm signal about something deeper, or a distraction ---just like pain. It feels like an emotion, but it is simply TMS. You might ask: if I am not feeling this anxiety, what would I be aware of? Or connect the anxiety to recent events/triggers.

For instance for me, anxiety is triggered by "survival issues" lurking below everyday events, issues triggering emotions which are difficult to feel, such as fear of lack of love, support, etc.

Good luck in this work!

Andy B

3. jf77

jf77 New Member

Hi Andy, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I will work the way you suggest.

If you have any other suggestions about Anxiety I would love to hear them. It is the thing that has been making my life miserable for many years.

Bests!

4. Electric_Boutique

Electric_Boutique New Member

i too am on day 10. I'm dealing with raging daddy issues that have come and gone so many times in my life. He's having a surgery this weekend. After he got ill at the beginning of january my pain symptoms came raging back after being dormant quite a while. They've stuck around so I decided to do this SEP to try and turn over every rock. I wish i had a more creative suggestion about how to deal: but exercise really soothes my anxiety. I like yoga and breathing. I like the structured kinds of yoga: like ashtanga and bikrim; because they do the same postures every time. and that soothes my anxiety cause I know what postures coming next; and I know when it's nearing the end. I also like sitting in the hot tub with friends or even just myself. it calms my muscles. One day I'll buy one to go in my backyard ! ironically i don't like walking with my dogs - it causes me anxiety cause they're terrible on the leash: so I like to go in nature by myself or just appreciate it in my backyard. Lastly, green - the color - really soothes me! you might be saying WTF I HAVE ANXIETY I"M WORRIED ALL THE TIME> Me too!!!! I've called myself a worry wort for YEARS. But these days I'm catching my fear thoughts one by one. For example, the other day I had a surge of panic - before my band rehearsal that I go to every week. Why the panic? No good reason as it turns out. That one was easy: I said :fear thought! not really necessary right now. I don't think you need to panic about this right now. GOOD LUCK!!!! Let me know if you find your own things to help.

5. jf77

jf77 New Member

Thanks @Electric_Boutique ! I hope you do better everyday. I will try the green color ;) and the baths.