1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Oh no...TMS is back again

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JoyceVT, Jun 28, 2012.

1. JoyceVT

JoyceVT Well known member

As a runner I've been battling TMS recently for the last few months in my quadriceps tendon. It has slowly improved and last Sunday on my run it was the best ever. I took a rest day on Monday and then did an easy run shorter run on Tuesday where it was also fine. Then last night's run had a few twinges. Then this morning I felt twinges even at my desk and then on my run today it was more of a dull soreness, a bit worse than the past few weeks. I know this is TMS but I can't help but feel a bit worried as I'm trying to begin my training for a half and full marathon in the late fall. I should also add that last night's run had my TMS moving from the quadriceps tendon to the outside part of knee. Even though I know TMS likes to move around, I still still struggle to fully dismiss and not worry about it.

I will say that we are in the beginning processes of possibly buying land, then taking out a construction loan and later selling our home. This is a very exciting yet daunting endeavor. Might be the hardest thing we have ever done (we don't have kids). It would seem logical that this could have sparked the TMS. Anyone ever experience this "off and on again" when dealing with TMS?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

LOL, Joyce!

Goodness, that's a big big giant YES! It's part of the diagnosis, in fact.

My symptoms definitely still come and go, and I've been on this journey since last September. Most of us have multiple minor TMS-or-equivalent symptoms that we find relatively easy to banish once we accept the diagnosis, but we all have that one symptom that won't let go, and which gives us the most doubt. It's the symptom that our brains find the easiest to manifest, because, in spite of our faith in the diagnosis, we still remember it, anticipate it, and fear it.

Keep reading and re-reading the success stories and the advice of other runners (that would not be me!). I know that you (Joyce) already know who these are, but for anyone else reading here for the first time, that would be Dr. Marc Sopher MD, Monte Hueftle (both of them have pages on the wiki and they also have their own web sites) and Enrique (he's currently posting to the Peer Blog: I'm a TMSer TriAthlete)

Keep the faith!

Jan

3. JoyceVT

JoyceVT Well known member

Hi Jan - thank you so much for your response to my post. The good news is my TMS is doing better today! Just a few light twinges with less frequency. So that really confirms that this is still TMS. I haven't done any crazy training to hurt myself.

It really does help to keep reading about other athletes' success with battling TMS. I was lucky enough to meet with Dr Sopher around 2001 and later in 2010 before my first marathon. And Monte is great too! I did a phone consultation with him last winter.

Thanks again,
    Joyce :)

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

There ya go :cool:

5. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Joyce:

Have you re read Enrique's journey? He is training for a triathlon. It sounds like you have some stress that could be tying to get your attention - yet again. It also sounds like you have some great tools already. I try and take the TMS journey day by day. The mind has a way of trying to distract us once it knows it can.

Try and recall the things you've learned, maybe take more down time for yourself, and tell yourself before each run that all will go just fine. I would even "set my brain" back to when you ran with no pain. EXPECT no pain. Well, sounds like you know the drill, but we're here for support.

BG