1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New hip pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by klawley, Mar 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. klawley

klawley New Member

Hello,
    I know that I have had TMS in the past (a few years back I completely “recovered” from back pain after finding Dr.Sarno, and last year this time
    I had ankle pain that went away after a few weeks). I exercise very often, usually a mix of spin, running and ellipticals. Since the pandemic and the gyms have closed I have been running more often (5-6 times a week). I have have no pain but last week I did a regular run and my hip started to feel tight mid way, I pushed through but since then I have had a hard time walking. I have taken a break from running this week and only done spin, and I think I will get an X-ray to rule our a fracture. I am wondering if I am setting myself up for failure by buying into it being a fracture. I have a really strong sense it is TMS but I am also very worried it is not and there is an injury. I know that I have been working under a lot of stress for a long time (I am a nurse that work a Monday to Friday in admin role and then weekends beside) so it is not uncommon for me to work 65 hours a week... and the hip pain started when I was running before a shift I did not want to go into. Sorry for the long post. I guess I am just seeing if anyone else has experience anterior hip pain while running and if you think I should get the x ray. I honestly have noticed the pain is worse since I called my doctor to make the appointment. Thank you very much
    Krystal

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Any new symptom that worries you should be properly checked out. Unless you have osteoporosis or have been taking one of those osteo drugs (that I refused to take - duly noted in my medical records) a fracture seems highly unlikely but I'm a tax accountant, so what do I know? Chances are it's TMS, but you never know. If it is, and if you go through this often enough, you'll reach a point with TMS where you are more comfortable self-diagnosing and figuring out how to self-heal.

This has been an unbelievably stressful period of time. I started having hand and foot pain last spring that I assumed was TMS, until it became so bad that I realized something was seriously wrong, and I had to face the fact that I'd worked myself into a full-blown case of RA. Sudden onset and unusually late in life, with no family history of any AI conditions, so although I have to buckle down and accept the traditional treatment, Dr. Schecter confirmed that I could and should work on my stress with a goal of remission.

There are plenty of stress-reduction techniques available - the problem is doing them, believe me, I know, and I'm supposedly mostly retired. Check out this recent thread I posted about breathwork, and the great responses. Such a simple thing to incorporate into even a busy life:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/breathing-for-stress.24312/ (Breathing for Stress)

3. klawley

klawley New Member

Thank you very much. And I am sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it is doing better. Take care :)

4. Heavenly

Heavenly Peer Supporter

I also have osteoporosis and I am only 45 years old. I inherited it from my mom who also have been struggling from Tms symptoms for 20 years. I wonder if my tms symptoms, fibromyalgia, can be caused by osteoporosis?

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I've always been told that osteoporosis is dangerous for us older folks, especially women, precisely because it has no symptoms. So no, I don't think so*. I think that it's more likely to be the other way around: that a lifetime of emotional stress and distress causes physiological damage over the long run. But that's because I subscribe to the theories (perhaps radical, perhaps not so much as we learn more and more about the inflammatory response) of Dr. Gabor Mate, MD, as described in his excellent book When The Body Says No.

I should clarify that the only reason I referenced osteoporosis above is that the OP is describing fear of a fracture that would have occurred completely spontaneously without being noticed at the time, which is simply not something that happens under normal circumstances. Our bodies were designed to walk, run, jump, and survive. The problem is almost always our damn brains.

*Mind you, as my name indicates, I'm a CPA, not an MD!

Heavenly and Idearealist like this.
  6. klawley

klawley New Member

Hello.
    Just an update. It is a stress femoral neck hip fracture which is common for female runners. I am going to let it heal for 8 weeks but after that I start TMS work so prevent chronic pain
    Thank you!