1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Here...HSP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Anaya, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Anaya

Anaya New Member

Hi all,

Nice to meet you.

Been reading up on TMS and was wondering about a correlation between TMS and HSP (highly sensitive person).

Has this been discussed here at all? Just thought it would be interesting.

As much as I'm not one for labels, HSP does a good job of describing a type of personality (obviously there are subsets and variations).

Sending well wishes your way! :)

Peace.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi and welcome to you Anaya,

I recall from Dr. Sarno's books, his mentioning TMS'ers suffering from the universal inferiority complex.

Also a funny quote here from comedian Maria Banford:

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."[​IMG]

Anaya and ash86 like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Hi Anaya,

I definitely believe there is a direct correlation between the 2. Most tmsers are sensitive people that always want to be accepted and put other people's feelings and concerns above their own. I know in Stevo's book "great pain deception" he has a whole chapter devoted to HSP. When we are like this our emotions are all over the place and mostly driven by various factors in life. I know I fall into this category but have come to a place now of how much I let others control my state of emotions and being.

It has taken me a while but I can now be happy with who I am and to just be myself. To know that my emotions cannot affect me and to just be with them Not to judge to criticize them. Welcome to this site you will get a lot of good thoughts and wisdom from others on this site. Best of luck, we are what we believe.

Ryan

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Anaya. I agree with Tennis Tom and Ryan that TMS and HSP are cousins, if not brothers, or sisters.
    Highly sensitive people and those of us (like me) who have goodist personalities and want everyone to like
    us and approve of what we say or do all can bring on TMS symptoms. We have to remember we're only human
    and not perfect, and that as sensitive people we do our best for others.

We have to give unconditional love not only to others, but to ourselves.

5. angelic333

angelic333 Peer Supporter

HSP sense the energies of others and take on their pain. This happens often. I tell myself "this is not my pain".

Anaya and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Anaya

Anaya New Member

Thanks for the replies, Tennis Tom, Ryan, Walt, & Angelic. :)

I don't know how anyone here feels about psychic phenomena, but for the believers, I would be interested in hearing opinions on how psychic abilities can encourage TMS to develop, if proper "psychic hygiene" steps are not taken.

I definitely have my own thoughts on the matter, as I have my thoughts on HSP/TMS. Always interested in hearing what others think and feel as well. Always interesting to get a variety of viewpoints - even ones that do not agree with my own!

Well, now that I've got 50% of people here interested and thinking, and the other 50% vowing to stay away from me lol, I will wrap this post up lol.

;)

Peace.

7. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Anaya,
    I think you bring up interesting correlations. The best way I got through my TMS was trying to keep things really simple. I just finished a two year meditation program that included all sorts of realms, planes of existence, consciousness. Most people from my school felt that my condition could be healed from the meditation alone. And I know it helped, definitely! And I also believe I've been helped by "unseen beings." That being said though, what was imperative for me to focus on were the thoughts, beliefs and emotions that I constantly created for myself and learn how I was actively creating anxiety (or repressing it.) So I had to stay pretty body and mind focused to ultimately get the healing I needed.

Ellen likes this.
  8. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I came to a realization while reading Self-Help for your Nerves. A few years ago I learned about HSP and I thought I had that personality type. I now know that I've always been sensitive, but when I developed anxiety issues years ago I became highly sensitive.

So, I don't consider myself to be a HSP only a SP that can get rid of the H part. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  9. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

Hi.. I'm also new to the forum and I can't help but believe there must be some correlation between HSP AND TMS. The personality traits Dr Sarno describes seem to corroborate this.. People who care so much about what others think of them, "people pleasers".. Putting their own needs aside for others, needing to excel and achieve goals in a" perfect way", to the point of OCD obsession. It's exhausting! I always compare my anxiety-pain, pain-anxiety patterns to living "like a hamster on a wheel".. Just caught in an endless circle. Wish I could figure out a way to get off the ride so-to-speak. I suspect I have a long road in front of me. Just knowing there might be a way to live pain free someday is enough to make me try.. It's comforting to know I have a place where people will "get it" and not look at me like I have three heads if I tell them I think I suffer from Mind Body Syndrome, definitely not widely accepted by traditional medical practitioners.. Which is sad and unfortunately keeps many people endlessly searching for the ever elusive relief they (we) all deserve..