1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new clicking / popping sounds but no pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by chepolina, Jan 30, 2013.

1. chepolina

chepolina Peer Supporter

Question to the experienced TMS-fighters,

During my recovery from TMS, I have now developed a popping/clicking in my right TMJ and a popping noise in my right shoulder. Oddly, there is no real pain per se, but both places feel very tight. But so hard not to think structural when your jaw pops every time you swallow.

Clearly, not injured. Clearly, my face and my shoulder aren't degenerating. But these sounds are SO distracting. I read previously that if muscles are tense in an area they will cause abnormal shifting of the tendons and joints and cause the clicking/popping noises --- makes sense for the muscles to tense up if a person is stressed and there is an oxygen deprivation to the area.

Just wanted to hear what you all had to say!

2. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

I think you're right about tense muscles causing popping. I had these symptoms at some stage in my calves (tendons clicking). But I was developing knee pain at the time which concerted me more. And the clicking/snapping went away for good, or so it seems as it didn't come back in years. The knee pain shifted to a different area since. That was before I knew about TMS.

If this is popping is distracting enough for you it will work as a TMS symptom by itself, without becoming painful. Keep positive and remember it's just your mind playing tricks with your body.