1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Never Give up on Journalling

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by EileenS, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I discovered Dr Sarno and journaling 2 1/2 years ago. Although I journaled a lot for several months, and again last winter and spring going deeper into issues while I was on a mind body course, only occasionally do I now pull out my journal to write a short thought. However, I have learned that I will never know when something I have buried deep inside will surface and I can't rush it or force it. An issue with a collegue has been weighing on my mind for several weeks and I realized yesterday I must talk to her about it. This is very difficult for me as I have a lot of trouble asking for what I really want, especially when the person I'm asking might give me a certain look. (My mother had 'the disapproval look') I realized from Dr Sarno that this is from my subconscious learning in early childhood, but I thought it wasn't any particular incident. But last night, the triggering incident from when my mother and I were visiting my godmother, whom I loved very much, floated into my mind. I journaled, I cried, I felt different. Although it would appear as not much on an incident to an observer, to the 4-5 year old that I was 56 years ago, I embedded the scene into my mind and never forgot the message, "Don't asked for things you want when visiting, it's rude, you might not be invited back." I internalized this as, don't ask for what you want as you might lose love and acceptance and not be invited back. It's always a mystery what and when something will crop up from the subconscious, but it can't be forced and I accept that. It's always a gift when it does.

AC45 likes this.