1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My success story-thanks!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by mmo4, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Thanks to everyone on the TMS Wiki for their support, stories and encouragement. Here is my success story. For anyone who is skeptical, don't be, it works!

After about 6 months of progressively worsening hip (buttock) pain, a friend gave me the Sarno books. I started reading them and they made sense. I also started PT and stopped exercising (maybe two mistakes). I was not able to: sit for more than 5 minutes, ride in a car without Advil, sleep at night as the pain would wake me. It was agony and the worst part was I was not sure it would go away. (I think I have a pretty high threshold for pain as I had 4 kids without pain meds and had teeth pulled and drilled as a kid without pain meds.) The back pain was another thing-because I did not know if it was going to end!! This anxiety made it worse.

The pain got worse before it got better, but I did the program for about 5 weeks and stopped PT. I started to feel better. The pain really started receding when I started sticking up for myself and getting in touch with deeply-buried emotions. Just making the connection between the pain and stress helped. I was a bit discouraged as I did not have the "book cure" and it took more than 5 weeks. I also had doubts at the end, because others kept telling me it was due to weak stomach muscles (diastasis recti) - and that I needed surgery to cure the back pain. I listened to them and got a bit discouraged, but then I got back to the program and ignored everyone.

I kept at it with a lot of encouragement from the Structured Educational Forum (thanks guys). I also got involved with things I enjoyed and sort of tried to ignore the hip pain. This was key. Not focusing on it helped it resolve. Every now and then when I am stressed, I feel a twinge, but I know it is stress and it just goes away. Have hope and stick with the program for however long it takes. It was faster than I thought it would be. Thanks again to the forum and good luck to everyone.

speedysel, Ellen, Mermaid and 5 others like this.
  2. psychosomatic

psychosomatic Peer Supporter

Thanks for sharing your story. Very happy for you!

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is Awesome mmo4. How did I miss your story. I'm so happy for you.
    " Have hope and Stick with the Program"
    You stuck to your guns and came out victorious.
    Bless You

4. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thanks so very much, it gives us all so much hope and a destiny to reach for. It was
    just wonderful.

5. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Congratulations ! You've achieved so much so quickly, well done dancea

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mmo4. We love your success story. And your advice, working on SEP you "stuck with it" and healed.

That's what it takes, those who haven't healed yet.

7. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Yay for another success story! Thank you for sharing your success with us; it means a lot when one is still in the trenches battling TMS. :)

8. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

How awesome!!! It really helps hearing these success stories as they are so inspirational.
    Did you feel the physical therapy was a hinderance when you say mistake?

9. Calum

Calum Well known member

Thank you for sharing! I have also found ignoring it and refusing to dwell on symptoms one of the most effective methods for making the symptoms recede. Very happy for you! tiphata