1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 My first steps to recovery

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Leona, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Leona

Leona Newcomer

I am 49 years old. My pain started about 18 years ago with severe stomach pain. I was given medication for the stomach pain which did not provide me with any relief. I was then prescribed an antidepressant to help me with what they thought was depression. The anti depressant only made me tired and unmotivated. I was not able to care for my 2 babies on these meds and had to stop taking them. As the babies got older my stomach pain went away. Didn’t know why and wrote it off as stress.

About 10 years later, started having back pain. Is started with a muscle spasm that brought me to my knees and I could not walk. I was off work for 2 weeks with this pain. Since that time, my back pain comes and goes and has just become an accepted part of my life.

About 2 years ago things really started to happen. I came down with a chest infection. The cough was quite severe and out of control. The tickle in my through exists to this day. I had a bronchoscope positive that there was something lodged in my lungs. The results were that there was nothing in my lungs. Just some mild inflammation that is considered to be quite normal. Wtf? I am still on the waiting list to get a second opinion.

At around this same time, I started having severe neck pain along with my usual back pain. I saw the chiropractor with no positive results.

Then about a year ago, I was feeling some muscle weakness, a tightness in my chest and was starting to notice that my muscles were starting to fatigue for no apparent reason. I was also suffering from severe insomnia. Because of the COVID 19 pandemic, I avoided the doctor for a while until August of 2020. Back on the antidepressants, me: “ but I don’t think I’m depressed!” Doctor: “these will help you sleep”. Nope, just made me feel worse.

September, I went to see a new doctor. Symptoms getting worse. I have way too many symptoms to describe here. I was then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. You need to take some time away from work and you should start feeling better in a few weeks. From that point my symptoms started getting worse and worse and more symptoms started to appear to a point where I feel that there is a problem with almost every part of my body. I am still unable to work.

I have now gone from a person that ran a marathon, loved to run and downhill ski. I loved everything that had to do with being active. I went to High intensity fitness classes and practiced yoga. I now feel like I did after completing the marathon after a half hour walk.

I have been meditating, going to massage, practicing Qi Gong, journaling, with very little success.

I have been following the work of Dr. Sarno for about 2 weeks and I am starting to feel that some of my symptoms may be improving. I have a very long way to go. This site and information provided has given me hope!

I truly believe that I can become a success story with this practice.

For those of you that made it to the end, thank you for listening to my story! It feels good to tell it.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum, Leona! I'm glad you have found us.

I completely recovered from Fibromyalgia in 2013 using TMS techniques. You can read my Success Story by clicking on my profile. So I'm here to tell you that recovery is possible. Just be patient and do the SEP that you've started, and keep reading about TMS to increase your knowledge.

Let us know anytime you have questions or need support. Best wishes to you in your recovery journey....

Leona likes this.