1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Medical Student.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kindle123, Aug 16, 2018.

1. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

I am in great dilemma right now, i I’m fairly new to my TMS journey but graduated from medical school in 2009. Iv moved to a foreign country where I need to take my lisence exam to practice as an MD again but today after many years I picked up my medical books and started with the cardiovascular system I felt like each symptom of an cardiac condition is going to apply to me. So do I give up medicine and never practice as an MD or do I keep going? In SteveOs book he says stay away from groups, people or books that talk about symptoms so what do I do?

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Well...my first thought was how common it is for students of medical practice to develop harmless symptoms while learning about disease. I think you must ask yourself if you can reassure yourself that you are fine and that its normal, for a time, to be susceptible to symptoms. I think Steve's book is referring to the focus on the negativity of comparing and recounting our pain. I think studying for your exams is different.

On a brighter note I hope you are able to continue because the world will have another doctor who is willing to help when a patient is open to the mind-body paradigm.

Balsa11, readytoheal, Lainey and 2 others like this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the baseline question is: "Do I feel passionate and invigorated at the thought of becoming a practicing doctor?" Even though you did all the years of study already, if you don't feel driven to be a doctor, maybe be truthful with yourself about it.

I only say this because I took on a job last year that was for money, but I knew it was wrong for me. My physical symptoms increased.
    We can't lie to ourselves.

best wishes.

Balsa11, Mike1601, Lainey and 3 others like this.
  4. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you, i still am looking for these answers. I did start med school because I truly wanted to help people but now when I look how it has become more of a money making business I don’t know how to approach it. not to mention the physicians I meet with had no human or healing touch.

Balsa11 and Lainey like this.
  5. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you Lizzy I hope I can make a difference someday.

Lizzy likes this.
  6. backtobasics

backtobasics New Member

I appreciate the path you're taking, even though I'm sure it is difficult.

Balsa11 likes this.
  7. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Don’t give up so soon! If you really wanted to be a doctor there must be a passion for this inside you! Not all doctors are business oriented. And even in a system that is business oriented there are always different ways to act.
    Another thing is your mimicking symptoms. That’s why I can’t be a doctor. Honestly. But usually students learn to cope and with more knowledge they are able to evaluate their symptoms.
    I would give it some more time. But also ask yourself, if this is what you want to do! BTW there are many career options with a medical education. I am sure you find the right one for you.

Balsa11, Lainey and plum like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you thought about training in psychology or some kind of therapy? Your medical background and interest in mind~body issues would redound to your advantage in those fields.

Whatever you do, try to choose something which supports rather than challenges your sensitive nature. I wish you the very best with this.

Plum x

Balsa11, readytoheal and Lainey like this.
  9. Harryberry

Harryberry Newcomer

It all depends on your attitude to business. Working as a surgeon, I also thought about giving up everything and finding something simpler. But on the other hand, I realized that I can and I want to help people. Eventually, I came to the idea of opening my own clinic, where I myself will regulate my work cycle. Now it has become much more comfortable to practice, although the profit is not much more than it was.

Balsa11 likes this.
  10. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

A lot of medical students have health anxiety! You're not alone.

Harryberry likes this.
  11. Harryberry

Harryberry Newcomer

If you are planning to start adjusting the scope of responsibilities, there is a lot of material on this topic on the Internet, starting with career development, ending with a change in activity. For example, an article about how to start a business as a medical professional. But, for the most part, your well-being is based on mental processes. It is best to turn to a psychologist to know what to work on and in which direction to move. You may find that you really need to change your profession. The main thing is to find agreement with yourself, and the rest will follow.

Balsa11 likes this.