1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Marines Vet looking for guudance

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Frankie1089, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Frankie1089

Frankie1089 Peer Supporter

This time last year, I didnt even know what chronic pains was. I have pain that shifts from both of my feet to back of knees. It bounces around to different parts of my feet mostly. I've read everything about TMS. I really would like some guidance or reassurance from people who have recovered from feet pain. I don't see too much literature on recovery stories about pain in both feet that bounces around.
    Thanks in advance

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Frankie, since TMS pain is caused by the brain sending distress signals to the body, signals can land anywhere. Pain moving around is an indication of TMS. My primary pain location was in hands, but it eventually spread to my feet. I kept walking and started running, and my pain eventually went away. After several months of weekly 3-4 mile runs foot pain completely disappeared. There are many success stories on this site about foot pain as well. You can use search to find those posts. Good luck!

3. Frankie1089

That's amazing TG957.! Thank you for the response. What do you feel was the most instrumental thing that helped you in your recovery? I know it's not just one thing but what would you say made the most difference?

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Frankie... Just go a little deeper into the search bar under 'feet'...it's there.

I had sciatica down both of my legs... sometimes it felt like I was stepping on a nail and sometimes it felt like I had a jewelers file running up my butt. In fact, TMS is a regional process so we tend to get weird groups of symptoms. A small spot of ischemia in your lower back could cause symptoms in both feet and lower legs.

But here, we don't deal with the symptoms, we deal with the cause which is Stress, usually in the form of repressed rage. And your mentioning about not knowing about chronic pain? That's how fast it got me... running sprints with my son on my shoulders in May, being told I was F-d and would have to be careful for the rest of my life in December. I was 32. I am 55 now and have no such problems and have been pain free ever since.

The Good news is, THEY were WRONG. Go and grab one of Dr. John Sarno's Books and read it. My fave is still "healing back pain" though "Mindbody prescription" is a close second. start going through the Structured Education Program on the front page of this wiki (SEP) and you too can get back to whatever it is you like to do.

peace

TG957 likes this.
  5. TG957

Two main directions:
    1. Working on my emotional recovery and learning to manage my emotions
    2. Mindfulness and meditation practice.
    Reading Sarno's Mindbody Prescription would be an excellent start.

6. Frankie1089

Thank you Baseball65 and TG957!
    Did you guys Journal?

7. TG957

I tried. It ended up only increasing my anxiety over being able to heal. I am of a persuasion that there are so many ways you can help yourself, you should try anything that looks reasonable and not be afraid to customize it for yourself or discard if it is not working. Each one of us is unique, don't be afraid of being your own doctor!

Sita and Baseball65 like this.
  8. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah...what she said.

After reading Sarno who shares virtually everything he knows about pain and his studies with the reader, You do sort of become your own advocate, therapist and decision maker. I think what appealed to me about his work was it's humility and it's outlining of what the problem was NOT. (My body, structural anomalies, etc)

I did not 'journal' but I did write long detailed lists of what I was angry about in life and why. Every now and then when I can feel a new something trying to make itself a new distraction, I will do it again (make the lists)

Almost every time I got pain, if asked I would've said "I am fine,except for this pain!"... when I make those lists I get perspective on what it going on in my life and how enraging that must be to parts of my brain I have no access to....

Money, Jobs, Moving, Family, personal relationships, competition and of course ego things like politics, beliefs,etc.

I write them all down.

TG957 and Sita like this.
  9. Frankie1089

Thanks Baseball65. That makes sense!.
    I'm working on my fears. I think that's one of the main reasons I ended up in this pain trap.

10. Sita

Sita Well known member

I did exactly the same thing. My journal was a list (things I was angry about, or things that I worried/fear about etc.). Sometimes the list had solutions too.

Paper page with 2 columns. On the left the reason x and on the right the solution for x.
    For example: on the left "I'm scared that I'll end up homeless" and on the right "I can always call my brother from Europe and he'll come and help me move back there".

Yes, fears are the worst. I'm using the formula: one day at a time. And I meditate. Daily. Works for me. It's liberating. Gradually to be able to let go, to surrender. Each day, more than yesterday. It gives me strength.

Take care.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Baseball65 likes this.