1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Marijuanna

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dominating everyday, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Marijuanna for pain?

Very straightforward question has anyone tried using marijuana for the pain associated with TMS?
    What were the results does anyone recommend using Mary Jane or should I stay away?

Thoughts?

2. Caulfield

Caulfield Well known member

I was given a medical marijuana card because I also have a structural issue, but my goal was to use it on the psychosomatic pain. Ultimately, I mostly used it for recreational purposes - when I initially began vaping/smoking/eating/using patches, cannabis actually made my sympathetic nervous system freak out (this isn't super common and probably won’t happen to you, so my intention isn’t to scare you). Later, once my nervous system calmed down and didn't respond badly to cannabis, I totally used it to for fun.

I rarely use it these days as I'm taking a break (I was using it multiple times a week, and it was pretty fun, so no judgment on using it! I'll for sure use it again in the future, but not nearly as often). Regarding mind-body/TMS pain, I would say that focusing on doing the emotional work is far more important. Marijuana is fine for a little break here and there, and sometimes it can aid in clearing the mind, but I wouldn't make it a critical part of my daily regimen. It also depends on how you respond to it, as it can sometimes increase feelings of anxiety, demotivation, etc.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

I used to smoke it a lot and loved doing it. No bad effects apart from when I went to Amsterdam and had a whitey lol... since I've had my symptoms tho I tried it as I had stopped using it for a few years being a dad now and after I tried it for the pain it made my legs hurt more and did not like the effect with the anxiety as it can as we know increase it. If you are going to try smoking weed again I suggest you try only small amount and not a massive hit inhale only small ones . And see how you feel. Remember you can't undo a massive hit but you can build up. Or even try baking cookies with it a take before bed. .
    But I said again Don't have a big hit to start off . Small puffs and see how you feel.

4. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Peer Supporter

It did. It work for my TMS pain. Neither did muscle relaxers.

5. deafheaven

deafheaven New Member

Anything that calms the central nervous system works....temporarily.

In order to heal completely from TMS you need to face the pain and accept it

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Pietro Carloni

Pietro Carloni Peer Supporter

Hello,
    I was a regular smoker, I smoked daily for 15 years or so (and I've had several panic attacks after smoking too much).
    As for sciatica and smoking, my experience is that until I was dominated by fear (of having some structural problem or having malfunctioning nerves) smoking was a nightmare because it revealed terrifying and apocalyptic scenarios. Since I chose NOT to be afraid of symptoms, smoking has returned to be a pleasure and, as a result, has helped calm the waters at certain times of the day.
    In conclusion, I believe that THC is not a true "ally", but simply contributes to amplifying our moods, good or bad.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. bonsaikitten

bonsaikitten Newcomer

I've been trying out medical marijuana for my sciatica for the past few weeks, with no apparent results (CBD oil 4:1 and 1:1). Just ordered some higher potency full spectrum one, will see if it does anything. Of course, I'm taking loads of other med as wells, so CBD-specific effects may be obscured.

8. Marinedad

Marinedad Peer Supporter

What other meds ?

9. bonsaikitten

bonsaikitten Newcomer

Gabapentin, ibupfofen and Norco. Since CBD is known to reduce the effectiveness of hydrocodone in Norco, I try to space them out.

10. Marinedad

Marinedad Peer Supporter

Does it help

11. bonsaikitten

bonsaikitten Newcomer

@Marinedad, let's just say, if I didn't take any meds at this point, I'd be a total wreck. I take 400-600 mg of ibuprofen and 200 mg of gabapentin 4 times a day (I also take omeprazole to protect my stomach lining), and hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/325 (Norco) mostly around the night time or when I have challenging activities planned (like today when I went to the swimming pool). Before I doubled my Norco dosage I was getting only 2-3 hours of sleep, in the last few days it's been more lke 5-6 hours. I take 1-1.25 ml of 1000 mg CBD whenever the pain starts to intensify again and it's still a while to wait before I can take the next dose of hard meds, and it seems to have a mild calming and pain relieving effect. Of course, it might just be helping to reduce anxiety, which is definitely a pain-reinforcing factor in and of itself. The hope is that eventually I will manage to replace the opioids with CBD.

12. Marinedad

Marinedad Peer Supporter

I never had any luck with cbd..it never took for me tried for many months ..was on Gabapentin for 3 years off and on but it started bothering me when I was taking 1200 mg a day ..
    Once in a while I will take Tylenol with some Aleve ...but for me keeping my anxiety down (FEAR) it what effects my pain I journal everyday just to get my thoughts out and do deep breathing and some meditation from the curable app

JanAtheCPA and Tennis Tom like this.
  13. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I have a friend who is a palliative care doctor. He said research is finding cbd is NOT proving to be of any effect in reducing chronic pain except in people who have already used it long term and amongst people with fibromyalgia.

14. Marinedad

Marinedad Peer Supporter

I found it useless and very expensive