1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Marathon Running and TMS

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by RedRunner, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Are you going to see him?

2. dougbrandt

dougbrandt New Member

I believe so, TT.

3. Tennis Tom

That would be a great idea, getting an dx from a TMS practitioner who understands both sides of the mindbody equation, and hopefully being told it's TMS should give one a great sense of relief.

4. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hey Doug, I can relate to what you're going through. Go see Dr Zafirides! Maybe you need a power boost of belief from a person of authority in person.

5. dougbrandt

dougbrandt New Member

I'll call him Monday. Tough road as of late.

6. Tennis Tom

Hi Doug,

If Dr. Zafirides was near me I would see him in a heart-beat or a click of my hip. A psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor first. He should be exponentially qualified to diagnose TMS, from the body to the mind. He's contributed to this board and I believe is in SteveO's neck of the woods in the Great State of Ohio. SteveO would be a good resource for you too, he does TMS consults by skype with TMS'ers around the world. You could get a head-start on things by doing a "SEARCH" here at the wiki to learn everything you can about Dr. Zafirides. That may get you started down the road to getting you out of the TMS dumps.

G'luck, keep us informed,
    tt

7. dougbrandt

dougbrandt New Member

Bad news:

He's out of the Medical Mutual network. Much, much more expensive for me to go out of network. Booked up for the next couple of months anyway. Will have to forge this path alone.

Doug

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I know what you mean about a lot of things to blame the pain on.
    My book publisher boss is a workaholic super-perfectionist.
    He gave me a ton of proofreading this morning and I spent nearly four hours
    on it, almost going blind and crazy. My back ached a little but not bad.
    I tell myself he's nuts and that helps.

9. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

I am very inspired to hear stories from endurance athletes and physically active people with TMS. It certainly helps give me hope that I will be completely pain free at some point. I have a lot of improvement in functioning and am slowly getting back into regular, low impact exercise. Thank you so much for sharing; when I know other people have had the same physical symptoms it helps put my mind at ease. Best of luck on your continued journey.

10. UFGatormom

UFGatormom New Member

Hi RedRunner: Great to hear about all your accomplishments. I am 63 years old and was a runner, however shorter distances, long distance cyclist and HIIT classes 5 days a week. However in the last year, MRI confirmed bilateral hip labral tears and torn menisci. Have been pretty athletic most of my life.Have resolved issues regarding IC, back pain, etc but the labral tear on left has gotten much worse over the last year. Diligently working on everything TMS but I have come to the conclusion that I know my body very well and the more I participate in all the activities I love, the more progressive my pain is getting. Hip pain is intolerable and I know from a gut feeling that this is not TMS even though this is exacerbating my pain from the anxiety. I do have another consult with top ortho doc as suggested by Dr. Schubiner in an email correspondence. I do not want to let this progress to the point where it is hip replacement time. I love Sarno's advice about doing all activities and thinking just psychological but this has gone beyond that point.

11. UFGatormom

UFGatormom New Member

Just another point; Sarno always talks about oxygen deprivation as the cause of pain which I totally agree with but my tear is in a totally avascular area which gets no blood supply at all.....something to think about?

12. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

13. intense50

intense50 Well known member

Just ran half marathon and 5 days later still have hip and lower back pinching. Your article hit home. I ran an easy 6 k yesterday no pain.

14. RedRunner

RedRunner New Member

I'm really glad to hear that and not surprised. Although you did run a half marathon and may have just been legitimately sore in some way. The fact that you have no pain really speaks to Sarno's consistent point that the body has an incredible capacity to heal itself.

Last year (2 weeks after a half marathon) a portion of one of my spinal disc literally broke off and was pinging off of the sciatic nerve root for a few days. This rendered my left leg useless for a good month. I fought to rehabilitate myself with still only 25℅ sensation across the shin. MRI showed that the broken piece of disc literally stuck to the side of my vertebrae like a barnacle. CRAZY! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. A VERY EXPERIENCED spine surgeon sympathetic to TMS tokd me that eventually the body just disolves it and to keep rehabilitating myself. 7 months later I ran my 4th marathon.

That was last year. Today the I have about 70℅ sensation across the left shin. Showing that even the nerves can rebuild themselves.

The numbness gets worst when I'm having a TMS response. No surprise there.

So keep running. You're doing great.

Tennis Tom and intense50 like this.