1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Letting go…

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Moppy, Dec 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

I had a lot of pain in both arms today and rather than focus on the physical pain and all the fears and anxieties that go with that, I really made an effort to focus on the psychological “What is going on for me emotionally?” At one stage, I had been thinking about a particular family member and suddenly recognised the inner bully engaging in a very habitual dialogue – “You’re hopeless! You don’t do anything worthwhile – you’re very much ‘the poor cousin’ in this family……”. I was able to step back and say in a joking way to myself “Well look at me, there I go again, saying the same old thing, how silly!”

I don’t know whether I’m reading too much into the following analogy but I have really been “hanging on tightly” to some very negative habitual thought patterns for a very long time, and now I am learning to let go thanks to this SEP program. In the physical world, if you hold tightly to something for a long time then suddenly let go, your muscles can be a bit sore until they relax. Maybe it’s no coincidence that my main TMS pain is RSI in both of my arms…

Stella and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Moppy,
    This is a wonderful way to see the Inner Bully, and disengage from it. Brilliant!! I think awareness is the most important piece with this, and as you see, awareness and discernment about what is really happening in you bring about the correct response. Wonderful. You are becoming a Warrior. Bravo.
    Andy B.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Moppy and Andy. Letting go is so important. I find myself getting angry from various things or people and I am trying to just chill out
    and do some deep breathing. The old thing of counting to 10 before reacting in anger has its merits. I keep a note by my desk telephone:
    LAUGH! It reminds me to just let troublesome things go.

Happy New Year and a pain-free 2016 to everyone!

4. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Thank you Andy and Walt. I never thought of myself as a warrior before, Andy...a worrier yes definitely....but there's a world of difference, haha! I like the term warrior as it connotes strength and determination and courage, all of which I am currently learning in the battle against tms.

I agree Walt, humour is a great way to deal with it. I read once that it can be really helpful to sing out loud to the tune of Happy Birthday or Jingle Bells whatever persistent anxious, fearful or angry thoughts you have. It somehow brings it all back into perspective and you can have a good chuckle. Happy New Year to you both!

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That would make a great affirmation - Banish the worrier and welcome the warrior!

6. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Sure would......i like it!