1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Letter to self

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Toby2015, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Toby2015

Toby2015 Peer Supporter

Ok so I had a bit of a reality check on day 9.
    All my current stresses are based on me. No names in there, no major issues (at the mo) yet I stress myself over work, aging, how I look, health.
    SO. I decided to write a letter to me.
    I haven't finished it yet either. I've found it quite interesting. I would even treat my worst enemy like I treat myself.
    I'm going to revisit this journal entry and keep adding, think I might be on to something here...

hecate105 likes this.
  2. SophieM

SophieM New Member

Hi Toby,
    I have found that too. I wasn't really aware of it until a few days ago but I now realise that I have been so angry at myself and so self punishing. It has been quite a surprising thing to discover. Last night I found a youtube video on self-forgiveness by Tara Brach that really helped me start thinking towards myself in a more compassionate way. I dont know if it will be useful for you but here it is:

Good luck with your TMS journey, it sounds like you are doing great work already.
    Sophie

3. Toby2015

Toby2015 Peer Supporter

Hi Sophie
    Thank you for the link, I will definitely watch it.
    It is strange how we fail to see the abuse we inflict on ourselves, I'm quite upset that I have chosen to do this to myself for so long. I wonder where or what I be if I'd been loving and but trunk towards myself.
    I wish you a lot of luck on your road to recovery too. ☺️

SophieM likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I keep in mind how much I have accomplished in 85 years, both in career (writing books) and in relationships with family and friends and it helps me to think kindly of myself. Most of us are a lot better to others than we are to ourselves, but we have to work on balance.

Toby, I like it that you are writing to yourself and discovering you are a good guy.

Sophie, thanks for sharing that Tara Brach video. Forgiving others and ourselves is so important toward being healthy and happy. My dog knows all about this. She forgives me all the time, for not being as perfect a dog owner as she is a dog. I guess that's what is called unconditional love.

SophieM likes this.