1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Leg weakness/unsteadiness, possibly TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hpowders, Aug 21, 2018.

1. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Hello. Newbie here! :)

I have had lower back/leg pain/foot pain off and on over the past 40 years, and Dr. Sarno's books have been miraculous in helping to "cure" me, by thinking "psychologically".

Lately, I have developed weakness and tremors, when standing, in both legs, resulting in some unsteadiness and it is very scary!

Anybody else share these symptoms? I believe this is just another manifestation of TMS, just more serious and am attempting to use Dr. Sarno's "think psychologically" method to help "cure" me once more.

I had a neurologist appt. yesterday and I wasn't confident in his evaluation. He wants to "test" me. I'm thinking of not going back there.

Help!!! tiphata

2. EmQ

EmQ New Member

Get tested....then when anything structural or physical is ruled out it will make the TMS Diagnosis much easier to accept....this is the rule anyway....new problems have to be evaluated first....most things are ruled out as nothing....we TMS people do a lot of testing which proves to be nothing.....let us know what you find out....EmQ

hpowders likes this.
  3. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Thanks for your input! I'm scheduled for an EMG this Friday. Okay. I will not cancel it.

4. jtperks

jtperks Peer Supporter

I had this. I actually still have the twitching. Doesn't bother me anymore. It used to scare the crap out of me. The only thing that really led to recovery was the neurologist doing an emg and telling me that I had "textbook" results. It was only then I could be confident that it was TMS. But you have to get it checked out- or you might drive yourself crazy wondering...."is it or isn't it????"

hpowders likes this.
  5. joshcm

joshcm Peer Supporter

It is scary and it can be TMS. With your history it probably is. I had total paralyzation in my calf, couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever, walked with a limp. If I had gone to a doctor I would have had surgery but I had understood TMS by then. Started to attack it by lifting heavy weights, squats, snatches etc. Seven months ago - a sneeze or a cough would bring me my knees. Just pressed 80kg above my head and 50kg weighted pull-up today. You have to confront the fear - simple. Get cleared medically first though (obviously). Oh yeah and had/have the tremors too, doesn't bother me now, just a relic of TMS.

hpowders likes this.
  6. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Thanks for your responses EmQ, joshcm and jtperks.

Yesterday morning, I had an EMG with a neurologist board certified in electro-diagnosis. The test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Next Tuesday I have an MRI and I told the neurologist my skepticism about having one-that all sorts of alarm bells would be ringing as a result with "false" diagnoses. He assured me that his training would separate out all the "BS". Then he will use the EMG results plus the MRI to let me know his best opinion. His initial examination of me last week was most likely that it is "neuropathy". To me that sounds like one of those words doctors use when they don't know what you have, but we'll see.
    Meanwhile, I continue to think psychologically, listing all those things that are subconscious rage issues, several times a day and I walk a half hour every morning, even though my legs are weak. I have a long history with TMS and I have gotten on top of all of it thanks to the amazing Dr. Sarno. The leg weakness is described by Dr. Sarno as a very intense form of TMS involving nerves, but is nothing to worry about. I even have "foot drop" (right foot), diagnosed by my neurologist, that Dr. Sarno indicates can be a TMS symptom.
    I will report back on the neurologist's diagnosis after the MRI result is in.

7. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Had my MRI last Tuesday. Got the report from the patient portal (what a great idea!) The only reason I did the MRI was to find possible growths. There were none. Instead, the same MRI report I had 30 years ago: the usual TMS suspects: Three bulgiing discs, spinal canal narrowing and scoliosis. Just what I was hoping to read. Now I have to convince my neurologist that my leg weakness/foot drop are not being caused by any of that. Might be a tough sell. Last week he did an EMG and I will get the results next week. I know there is nerve weakness so I don't know what the point is of the EMG.
    I'm only submitting myself to these tests to rule out potential disease. From what I've seen so far, I'm healthy-blood tests, terrific. Weight 170 lbs. 6'2" tall.
    Personality: there's the problem: perfectionist and everything bothers me.

Lizzy likes this.
  8. EmQ

EmQ New Member

All good news.....when you get all your results and nothing adverse shows up you can turn your attention to letting go and working on changing your thinking ....knowing nothing is physically wrong will help....

hpowders likes this.
  9. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Yeah, thanks. The neurologist may alsoc want to do specific blood tests related to neurological diseases and also a spinal tap. My regular blood test was excellent, but that was from my internist-the neurologist has blood tests I've never even heard of. Better to get thoroughly checked. My appointment is next Tuesday. He will discusst the EMG results-I already know there is a lot of weakness and some nerve damage in my legs. As long as he can't label me with some disease, I'll be fine. So far, he's labeled me as having "neuropathy"-a typical code word when they can't find any disease. I hope when all the testing is over, he still labels me as having "neuropathy". Mumbo Jumbo, as far as I'm concerned.

10. EmQ

EmQ New Member

You are doing the "do diligence" necessary....the first step....nerve wracking at best....but necessary! I do think you have to be prepared that when you have done everything prescribed you will put it to bed....and turn your attention and energies to the next step in the TMS program....hard as it may be....refuse to go down that rabbit hole....running from doctor to doctor...when you are told you are fine ...keep telling yourself "I am fine"!

hpowders likes this.
  11. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

You know, what's fascinating is my lower back usually has a little stiffness, but no pain, for over 30 years. When I got home from the EMG, I had some lower back pain start, which developed into excruciating intensity by evening. I couldn't straighten up. It is mostly gone now, but still a wee bit there. Like a case right out of one of Dr. Sarno's books. The anxiety of the test; the words of the neurologist, "I definitely found some nerve damage." Enough to frighten me and give me the back pain. I hadn't had back pain in over 30 years! At least I have the knowledge to know why I had the back pain and how to deal with it, so most of it has receded. Now I'm punishing myself with, "What the hell did I go to a doctor for? Doctors just scare you and make things worse." But, I must consider extra-TMS possibilities. As Dr. Sarno writes, "Don't self-diagnose." One must eliminate the possibility of disease. So that's what I'm doing, even though it hurts (literally) in the short run.

12. EmQ

EmQ New Member

Hard as it is...and it is hard....it must be done....otherwise you will be tortured with constant what ifs, maybes, could bes, etc. and if you leave one stone unturned all the other tests that turned out negative won't matter because you will be consumed with the one you didn't do....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    hpowders likes this.
  13. EmQ

EmQ New Member

The next step is turning your thoughts away from the fearful, worrisome ideas that keep popping into your mind....replacing them with thoughts that you are fine, safe, nothing is wrong based on all the tests you have had that proved this....talk to your brain....

hpowders likes this.
  14. EmQ

EmQ New Member

None of this is easy!

hpowders likes this.
  15. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Yes. You are right. I must take whatever tests the neurologist recommends, even though my back may start aching again from the anxiety of it all.

16. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Yeah. I’ve been doing that. What made things worse is I was away on vacation and I got an email that I was a victim of identity theft-legitimate-and I had to spend the rest of the vacation consulting with the 3 credit reporting agencies and initiating a police report. This incident took my weak legs and eventually turned the muscles into quivering jelly. All the anger and anxiety when I was supposed to be away enjoying myself. Pretty sure this is an advanced TMS reaction, but I have to do whatever the neurologist recommends. He’s board certified! LOL!! Why isn’t there a pill that would make my legs back the way they were?

17. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Well, went to the neurologist yesterday. Results of my EMG were unremarkable; this as he was doing the test last week and claimed, "I found nerve damage". The test showed none. I went to the patient portal and as of yesterday, he is leaning toward "neuropathy of unknown origin". Sounds like TMS to me.
    I also told him yesteday that when I got home from last week's EMG test, I developed back pain that day, when I hadn't had back pain for many years. I told him I psyched myself and in a few days the pain disappeared. He gave me a "skeptical" look. I also told him I am a highly anxious person and I asked him if anxiety could have anything to do with causing my leg weakness. He gave me an emphatic "NO WAY!!" I was disappointed in his answer, but I shouldn't have been after reading Dr. Sarno's books.
    Anyhow, he gave me a list of specialized blood tests as a final hurdle for me to get over. I had them done this morning and if I do fine on those, I will finally be able to deal with the leg weakness as TMS.

Oh yes, I did also have an MRI done on my lower spine and he showed me a very tiny area devoid of spinal fluid because the area was compressed and he told me I should have surgery because this could be causing my weakness in both legs and my slight tremors in my thumbs and index fingers. I told him I would consider it, but I absolutely will not. There's no way a small space like that can cause weakness in both legs and fingers. I didn't go to Med School, but I'm also no idiot.

I also notice whenever I told him about weakness, he always threw around the phrase "It's your neuropathy", as I wrote earlier, sounds like a label for "nerve involvement of unknown origin". Better that than a diagnosis of Parkinsons or ALS.

So I felt good coming out of his office yesterday, because basically, he couldn't find anything wrong with me. Now, I wait for the specialized blood test results. I get through that with normal results, I can deal with TMS as the cause.

18. EmQ

EmQ New Member

All wonderful news....you are almost done with this hard part....stay with it and keep us posted.....you encourage us !

hpowders likes this.
  19. hpowders

hpowders Newcomer

Thank you!

20. Moroso1

Moroso1 Newcomer

I have been dealing with TMS attack that has caused pain in my buttock,hip and leg tension and weakness. I fell twice and have had two close calls. While I am not happy that anyone suffers from TMS I am relieved to know that this is a TMS effect and I will be able to regain the strength and support of my left and rid the dull ache in my buttock. Falling has not only scared me but made me feel hopeless and depressed.