1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Knee pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Enrique, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hello All,

I'm back to my TMS protocol to get rid of some pain. I took a year and a half off of training for any events (mostly triathlons) due to life kinda taking over. The last event was back in Sept 2015 which was a half ironman. But I feel like I need to train for something as I've not only gained 10 lbs but I feel like I'm really missing it. I love running, biking, swimming! So I have chosen a very short triathlon in June to train for. I started with a short bike and run on Saturday and then on Sunday my right knee started hurting. So I'm back to my protocol... (copy/pasted from a prior post)

1. I do whatever I could to get myself to believe 100% it is TMS. This is very important. If I am struggling with this, I do the best I can and continue with the rest of the protocol. The more I get rid of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) the more progress I make and the more I believe. It's a positive upward spiral if I remain consistent.
    2. Consistently on a daily basis I purposefully introduce TMS/PPD knowledge into my conscious mind and therefore, indirectly into my subconscious mind. In my case, I listen to (or read) a book, parts of the Master Practice or the SIRPA Recovery CD whenever I can, (or Dr Schecters CD too) but minimum 15 minutes daily.
    3. I resume normal activity as much as my pain will allow.
    4. I stop any treatments (except icing) or searching outside of myself for a cure. If I don't do this I am sending a message to my subconscious that I don't believe this is TMS/PPD. It took some time before I jumped on this wagon due to doubts, but after I did, I began to get better.
    5. Lastly, whenever I feel the pain, think about pain, or even just think about my affected area, I force my mind to think clean (as Monte calls it) (i.e. focus on my thoughts, feelings, and TMS personality traits --- not the pain). Pulling out my mantra card was a simple, but effective way for me to habituate the process of thinking psychological.
    Anyone else going through some pain issues while exercising?

Ellen likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Enrique. You're bound to feel some pain as you work out in preparation for the short triathlon. Keep telling yourself the pain is normal and minimal. You're doing everything right. The 5 steps you wrote are a fine blueprint for anyone to heal.

Steve Ozanich wrote that he had to keep believing in TMS as he played golf through the pain, and it finally went away.

Enrique likes this.
  3. Enrique

Thank you Walt. "The pain is normal and minimal. The pain is normal and minimal.The pain is normal and minimal. The pain is normal and minimal." :)

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Enrique

I barely found time to work out this week... mostly just walked around while I worked (I work outside). Biked today for 40 minutes... no knee pain, but there was a minor sensation there. After, I ran for about 25 minutes with no pain. I am icing it afterward, but that's all. I believe it is TMS and it is going to go away just like all my previous pains have gone away over time.

One telling thing that happened is that on Thursday, my left hip started hurting really bad... so bad that I slept terribly. I suffered through the pain on Friday, but by the end of the day the pain was almost gone. This morning before the ride, I hardly felt it at all. I couldn't explain where I got that pain from. It felt like I was hit by a bat or something to my side. First time I've ever felt that. But it went away after one night of battling in my mind that I might have cancer or something. My brain really can go negative. I worked to keep my thoughts positive during the day and, like I said, the pain dissolved.

Ellen likes this.
  6. Enrique

Things are going well. The quick update is that I switched goals and now I'm training for a marathon instead. I realized that I didn't really have the time to dedicate to three sports (swim, bike, run). Target date is in December and I'm up to 7.5 miles long run. No knee pain, but I must say that it really helped getting a confidence boost by having a conversation with someone who I view as an authority on TMS and sees TMS patients all the time. Prior to that conversation, I was feeling minor knee pain. I'm not feeling any now. :)

Paulita and Ellen like this.
  7. Enrique

Update... I completed an 11 mile run today. Hints of knee pain and glute pain, but I remind myself that it's just a conditioned response and the sensations went away. 4 months to marathon day. :)

Ftaghn! likes this.