1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

ISTDP

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by trsalisbury, Oct 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. trsalisbury

trsalisbury Newcomer

Hi,

I’m going through the Unlearn Your Pain workbook by Dr Schubiner. I am using it to get rid of my neck and back pain.

Currently, I am writing about current and past trauma using the ISTDP method.

I’ve successfully done that but I can’t drill down to the anger and sadness and really feel my emotions ie crying.

Is this holding me back from healing on a deep level and getting rid of my pain?

Thanks
    Tim

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like you are putting pressure on yourself to feel a certain way or to cry etc. That puts you in a state of resistance rather than just letting go and seeing what feelings come up. You don't need to "do" anything...rather just "be". Whatever you feel is what you feel but you don't need to judge it. I think this is where we overthink and over complicate healing. The idea is to not "drill down" but rather surrender and allow yourself to feel whatever emotion that comes up. This is sort of a hard concept to explain but I think it's really important. The objective is to be in a state of "allowing" rather than "resisting". When we are trying too hard ("I have to get rid of this pain already" etc.) it actually feeds the tms strategy. Emotions arise in a natural way without having to do anything really. I hope that makes sense!