1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is Globus not TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by PussInBootz, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Hi

I was diagnosed with Globus in my throat a few years ago. Well, I say diagnosed, they didn't give me the name but explained what was happening and I found the name online. The muscles in my throat contract when I am stressed causing what feels like a lump in my throat.

I know this is emotionally triggered and have done from the start, I was working opposite a bully and couldn't defend myself or speak to my boss as she was the favourite.

When I heard about TMS I naturally assumed it was connected. I've started working through a workbook and reading The Divided Mind in the hope that I can reduce the symptoms along with those of mild IBS and RSI in my hands.

I'm just reading through the section of TDM and it says that Sarno considered globus to be a hysterical rather than psychosomatic disorder. I realise I may be jumping the gun but that is really worrying me.... am I not going to be able to clear this through normal TMS methods?

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Pages 63 and 346 GPD, it is healed by the normal TMS methods.

Kira likes this.
  3. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Great, thanks!!! It will be so good to get rid of this. It's not limiting my life but it is quite frustrating and annoying. I don't fear it any more, just get cross with it.

I'll keep plugging away at the work and hope it clears up :)

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hope is everything, but you have even more control than that. You can do it! Globus comes from feeling alone, with no strong ally or confidante. But this is true for most people at forums. They usually don't have anyone who understands them, or TMS to confide in, so they go to the strangers who do. It's the universal need to feel connected that causes most health problems.

Kira likes this.
  5. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

it doesn't help that in MBTI I am an INFJ which means I am rarely understood anyway... when the globus came up it was because I was ramming down rage, hate and lonliness because I was forced to spend time with this woman that was being so nasty to me, and there was nothing that could be done and nothing I could say.

She has moved to a new office and we are back getting on again, but I think that experience broke me a little if I am honest. Now the globus flares up at the slightest moment of anxiety, even if I don't actually feel anxious consciously.. which is why I took it as TMS when I read about it.

I am working through a workbook and reading TDM so hopefully, in time, I can beat it....

6. Kira

Kira New Member

Steve, you have no idea have often I refer back to the simple short section of your book. Gives me hope! I’ve had globus for over 3 years that’s apparently caused by reflux and has morphed to now cause severe 24/7 burning and stinging throat, hoarseness, speaking pain, mucous. I am working daily to practice outcome independence, but the symptoms and pain bring me to my knees