1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW ABOUT ISTDP and Mindbody Healing

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Forest, May 4, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The following video is an introduction to Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy, ISTDP, by the foremost researcher in ISTDP, Allan Abbass, MD.

ISTDP is used by many TMS Therapists and is strongly endorsed by Arlene Feinblatt, "the mother of all TMS Therapists."

Dr. Sarno endorsed Dr. Abbass's book about ISTDP, writing, "Dr. Abbass makes an important contribution to the clinician’s understanding of the Intensive Dynamic Short Term Psychotherapy (ISTDP) treatment model, through a well-written and presented book, rich with clinical material based on extensive experience and research. The book provides substantial support to the clinician engaged in treating the ever-increasing population of persons with psychosomatic symptoms.”

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Ftaghn! likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

This is super. It is really encouraging that people in pain, etc. will be able to find help. TMS will be taking hold around the world.

Forest likes this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'm curious about who would give the patient a referral to a TMS psychiatrist. An ER doctor? Not sure how many of them would recognize TMS.
    I'm delighted that TMS is being discussed on a worldwide stage!

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In Dr. Abbass's work, I believe, it was actually ER doctors who gave the referral. In one of his study's he described how his team first developed a relationship with physicians and trained them on how to identify TMS. This study documented 50 referrals in a 5 month period, which is pretty remarkable when you think about it. For more info on this check out the wiki page.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a terrific video, almost nine minutes, about ISTDP.
    That stands for Intense Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy.
    It is a lot like TMS knowledge.

It's an interview with MD and Psychiatrist Allan Abbass who has been helping
    people with what we call TMS for more than 10 years.
    The goal of his treatment is to diagnose treatment for people with emotional problems.
    He says, as TMS people know, physical pain can be caused by emotional problems
    and our unconscious mind recognizes we have tension and sends physical pain to
    parts of our body so we come to recognize and deal with our repressed emotions.

Dr. Abbass says his healing program relies heavily on self-acceptance and forgiveness.
    He has helped more than 2,00o people so far with his ISTDP program.

Like TMS, it involves telling people in pain to remove the anger and rage repressed inside
    us from guilt of things in our past or present,such as not feeling we have done enough
    as caretakers and caregivers.

We need to accept ourselves and others.

I have found that accepting others and forgiving can come through putting myself
    in their shoes. Those who caused us to have repressed anger and rage probably have
    their own TMS anger and rage from any number of causes.

If we realize they may just be striking out at us, because we're handy we become
    their innocent "whipping boys." Of course, if someone was physically abused,
    it may be harder to forgive, but on the news (which I rarely watch because it's
    too upsetting), even those whose son or daughter was accidentally killed in an
    auto accident or even murdered by someone has forgiven them.

In forgiveness lies peace.

I hope others will watch this video which is a strong reinforcement of our
    belief that our pain is caused by our emotions and it is not structural.