1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Intense exercise and tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by samuelp180, Jun 22, 2020.

1. samuelp180

samuelp180 Peer Supporter

Hi, I’ve been hearing from a lot of people that intense exercise is key to recovery because it reduces stress and sends strong signals to the brain that nothing is wrong or broken in the body. However, I’ve also heard from some people that it took them way back in the process. People say it’s two steps back and three steps forward but I don’t know what to do. Considering going on a run but don’t want to delay my recovery process. Just looking for some input, I have tms in the forum of chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs) with bad leg cramps, sore throat, etc...

2. Dani-jwz

Dani-jwz New Member

I note that exercising improves the pain for a couple of days. I have experimented with this buy doing weeks of intense exercise and taking full weeks rest. In the latter cases, I got even worse symptoms back.. I think you need to experiment and find out for yourself!
    In theorie, exercise makes blood circulate, which should bring oxigen to your muscles and relieve from the pain (at least temporarily...)

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

We always say that if you need to take things slowly as you get back into exercise, that's fine - the main thing is to keep doing it, and to learn to recognize when your fearful brain is trying to convince you that you're in danger, when your logical brain (if you can manage to let it speak) knows that you are not. Don't let your fearful primitive brain win - that's the main thing.

Read stories in the Success Stories subforum for inspiration and examples of the many different ways that people recover.

TG957 likes this.
  4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

As a rule of thumb, one should resume normal life as much as possible while recovering from TMS. The more credence you give to your symptoms, the more you lose ground to them. But that is easier said than done. You should accept that two steps back, three steps forward is a norm. I came to view my recovery as a wrestling match with my pain. Today I win, tomorrow I lose, but if I stick around and not give up - I end up winning the final round. I tried to push for more exercising and scaled back many times - and it was OK, as long as I kept trying. But your focus should be on freeing yourself from the fear.