1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I had to turn around, tough love did not work!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by quasar731, May 23, 2012.

1. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Healing greetings everyone,

Today is my eighth day in the program. I am so looking forward to every day's activity. I am also enjoying journaling. Though it gets tough sometimes, I remind myself that medicine is not always the most pleasant experience. I think about the freedom that I am and will continue to experience as I let go of experiences that are not edifying.

This afternoon, I got myself wrapped up because it was mighty cold and went for a walk. Granted that I did a lot of walking this morning doing errands. I was a bit tired but decided a walk would energize me. I did not make it to 50 meters away from my house when pain ceased both my hips. Granted that I had my right hip operated 1 month ago. The left hip has been complaining due to the double weight it had to carry as I was recuperating from a right foot and right hip operation. I did do the positive self-talk. I told myself that what I was feeling was not real but in all honesty, the cramps were so bad that I had to return home. Nevertheless, I did not assume a vanquished attitude. I talked to my mind and said that tomorrow we are going for a walk. We will do it early when I am fresh and feel fit . So, I did not feel like I was at a loss. I brought myself back to the house and did some gentle Pilates and stretching.

What I got out of this experience is that sometimes, depending on how resistant the pain can get, especially at the early stages as in my case, one still has to move. It also depends on what kind of adjunct condition one may have (in my case I am recovering from surgery). The idea is to be loving and gentle and somehow continue moving within a safe space. Whether stretching or doing Pilates or yoga, even jumping on a stationary bike/ The idea is not to sit or lie down defeated wriggling in pain.

Health to all of you!

Susan and Beach-Girl like this.
  2. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

Congrats, quasar! You made an excellent point, the most important thing is not that you experienced pain but that you got up and out of your front door! I hope your next walk takes you a bit further, and the one after that further still. :)

3. quasar731

Thank you Justina for your encouragement. Yep, one step at a time. The idea is to keep up with the steps!;)

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

One thing we need to remember is that when you first become active again you will, most likely, experience some symptoms. This does not mean though that you do not have TMS/PPD. It simply means you have a conditioned response. Remember our unconscoius mind wants to make us think we have a structurl problem to distract us. One way it does this is to create pain right before, after or during physical activity. This is where accepting the diagnosis is so important. If you accept the diagnosis you know that there is nothing to worry about and can ignore the symptoms and move on.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with starting small, and the first step is simply giving it a try. Recovery is more about making incremental progress. Walking down the street is a great first step for anyone starting out.

5. quasar731

Thank you Forest for the reminder!

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Good for you quasar!

It's awesome you had the courage to walk out your front door. You DID just have surgery so giving yourself breaks will be helpful too. Hope your walk went better the following day. You are inspiring to me. I think your progress is tremendous and you will get yourself to feeling well again.

BG

7. quasar731

Thank you Beach-Girl, it is encouraging to receive cheers for the small accomplishments:)