1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

I always feel v. ill on days 3-5 of meditation retreats. Even if I was well before the retreat. WTF?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mcplums, Oct 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcplums

mcplums New Member

Am I right in thinking, that feeling ill (my TMS symptoms have never been pain, more like nausea) on day 3 of meditation retreats, is CLASSIC TMS? The theory being, that without all the normal distractions of everyday life, the emotions/thoughts rise to the surface, and my lovely brain gets scared and creates a bunch of symptoms to distract me from them.

I've been on a few retreats in my time, but I went on one recently which was the first I'd been on where I had been free of TMS symptoms for many months previous- so I did not think I would get ill on day 3 this time- but I did. Exactly the same as previous retreats. Does this tell me, that there is still something going on in my subconscious? More work needs to be done?

2. Andy B

Andy B Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mcplums,

Yes, I think your theory makes sense:

It seems you're seeing a pattern, which is very helpful. Gentle inquiry into what might be arising benieth the surface is a good idea. I think it is less about "more work" and more about "what wants to be seen" if I can make that distinction. Your knowledge of the correlation, and knowing there is nothing physically wrong with you is important ---in itself!

Andy B

BloodMoon likes this.