1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to get someone's attention with @mentions

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Oct 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

You may have seen in different posts on the forum where someone's username appears like this:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-31-17.png

These are "@mentions" and are a great way to draw someone's attention to a specific post.
    This is a similar concept to tagging someone in a post on Facebook. This thread is a tutorial on how to @mention someone in a post. You can find a video demonstrating all these steps at the end of this post.

How to @mention someone in a post

Start writing your post in a new or existing thread. When you want to @mention someone, start with the @ symbol, and then start typing the username you want. (Do not put a space between the @ symbol and the username.)
    upload_2014-10-27_15-36-12.png

You should see a list of usernames show up after you start typing the beginning of the username:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-35-0.png

Click on the username of the person you want to @mention, and then continue with the rest of your post. You can also just type in the username yourself without using the drop-down menu.

Here's what your completed post should look like:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-37-25.png

Notice that in the post itself, the @mentioned person's name will also automatically become a link to their forum profile and other details:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-39-37.png

If someone has @mentioned you in a post, you should also get a notification on the forum letting you know who tagged you and what thread they tagged you in. Look in the top-right corner of the forum, under the "Alerts" tab.
    upload_2014-10-27_16-6-26.png

upload_2014-10-27_15-40-42.png

I should add that you don't want to overload people with @mentions. Consider who it is you are @mentioning in a post. For instance, you probably don't want to @mention TMS celebrities such as Steve Ozanich a lot. For me, as I say in the video, I'm not great at writing so @mentioning me may not get me to post in the thread.

Overall, though, this is a great way to notify people about certain discussions happening on the forum, and is a great way to pull them into the conversation, especially if you think they would enjoy contributing to the discussion!

Attached Files:

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Forest. This is very good information on getting more people to share ideas about TMS.