1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to Deal with an Introvert

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by BruceMC, Nov 11, 2013.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Stumbled across this little parable about introverts vs. extroverts the other day on FB and thought it had an immediate application to TMS theory and the roots of TMSing:

http://themetapicture.com/how-to-interact-with-the-introverted/

That business about an introvert feeling they have a limited supply of energy that they must husband and regulate seemed to really hit the nail on the head about the difference between the two general personality types. Also that bit of wisdom about introverts getting lonely and wanting companionship too if it's offered in a non-threatening manner.

See what you think!

yb44 and Forest like this.
  2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

That is PERFECT!!! I never thought of it as a hamster bubble, but now I will.

^_^

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I really liked this TED talk about Susan Cain. When she spoke about introverts struggling to work in open plan offices I suddenly felt so understood. Up until that point I just thought I and I alone had a real problem working in this type of environment.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I can totally relate to the limited supply of energy idea. I'm not shy, but I'm definitely an introvert, and I have limited energy for social interactions. I like quiet and working on projects, like the behind the scenes stuff I do here.

My girlfriend is also an introvert and has fallen in love with the bestselling book by Susan Cain, from the TED talk above. She wants to give the book to all of the extroverted members of her family so that they understand her better. I'm really glad that introverts like us are slowly getting to be better understood.

Interestingly, I think that there are different types of introverts. I think that I am a "cognitive" style introvert, meaning that just paying attention to people when talking takes a lot of energy, so I need to be left to my thoughts to recharge. On the other hand, my girlfriend is an "emotional" style introvert, meaning that she gets tired when dealing with people whom she doesn't already feel comfortable with. She is happy with people she knows well and feels close to and can be quite a chatterbox with them. I think that it just takes emotional energy to reach out to strangers. On the other hand, I'm completely happy reaching with strangers and love meeting them at parties. Meeting new people is fun, which makes it worth the cognitive energy I have to expend. On the other hand, I'll never be a chatterbox. Too tiring! I'd much rather be building something I think is cool. Bottom line: GF likes chatter, doesn't like new people as much. I find chatter exhausting and love meeting new people. Two different types of introverts.

beachygirl likes this.