1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How have you had fun today?

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by LittleWildflower, Feb 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. LittleWildflower

LittleWildflower New Member

One thing that’s coming up again and again for me is ‘boredom’ and ‘lack of fun’. And I am struggling to think of how to rectify this issue. So firstly, any tips on reconnecting with that playfulness (bare in mind I was the child whose idea of fun was setting up businesses and using excel spreadsheets- and yes, I do still get a buzz from that. My pony sanctuary-hotel where you could ride up to a 100 different breeds of horses was my absolute masterpiece), but also, in light of our need for as much fun and joy in lives as possible to process our TMS how have YOU had fun today?

Tomorrow I no longer doom-scroll, lounge in bed, stare out the window, people please, read celeb gossip, go online shopping or symptom check. Shame on me. Hands up.

Tomorrow I have fun. (It’s late here so I’m being realistic about having fun today). But tomorrow I will begin.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an excellent post!!
    I went out with friends. This is a group where two people bedsides my my husband understand some of my struggles. This makes me super comfortable to speak my needs if I have them. We walked to an eatery after with a proposed long wait time, (plus nothing I wanted to eat) so I went home. We had a blast, and I felt empowered leaving when I felt good!
    Last week hubby and I went for Indian on the outskirts of town. I love exploring new places.
    Some things I do aren’t “fun” but satisfying. Sitting outside watching birds and clouds, long walks, cooking, listening to E books.
    Learning what is NOT fun is also a good thing. Visits from a very needy friend who only talks about themselves = no fun. A great time to practice self boundaries.

LittleWildflower likes this.
  3. LittleWildflower

LittleWildflower New Member

I started packing up our house today. It wasn’t fun necessarily but it was refreshing. I realised how much junk we’ve got, how much clutter and the family collectively agreed that once we move we’re going to unpack slowly box by box and get rid of all the stuff we don’t use. Unfortunately we’re in a massive rush to move so I can’t do it now but once we’re in our new home I can take a moment to really let go of all this stuff. And that felt like a nice idea.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. ChronicVince

ChronicVince Peer Supporter

Hi LittleWildflower, interesting... I'm asking myself exactly the same kind of questions. I find out that a lot of hobbies for people seem like tasks for me, as : cooking, comparing and buying things.
    I agree with Cactusflower, going out with friends in a simple activity like a restaurant works for me as a fun activity. :) But I would like to find by myself fun activities I really and deeply enjoy. I don't really find it and I also miss that.
    Sport usually start by fun, but my mind converts it quickly in tasks again... I start thinking writing this, that fun could be a state of mind in some of my current activities... where I could let it go more, and do not expect big results or performance... a very hard thing for me. I like to much optimizing things. Anyway, playing and dancing with my baby is a 100% fun activity, and she laughs a lot... that was my fun activity of today. :) I also like playing inquiry collaborative games with my wife. And another idea, sometimes I watch an action movie or a comedie. However, at the end, it's 50-50 to label it "fun"...

5. joandmc123

joandmc123 Newcomer

I woke up in the morning and began to work with my laptop. I used to have so much fun when I was in my college with my friends. Now I am staying at home and doing absolutely nothing to have fun. I miss old me

6. ChronicVince

ChronicVince Peer Supporter

@joandmc123 that is the same for me. I have very good memories of fun moments with my playmates at school, during class and between class! That was great opportunities to connect and laugh, even with teachers. I loved making jokes at this time. Since I started to work, I lost this mindset and become so serious. People at work were sometimes saying I was boring. And my friends who meet them one day, said to them "that be so much fun to work with him". Indeed, I know that not. :( And I know I was missing someting to be truly me at work. And I'm not sure I found it today... maybe I hope it will be done with my TMS current training, particularly feeling my emotions and prioritize myself. But I have so huge doubts to succeed in this... feeling like I already try so hard and that never work and affect a lot my health. Anyway, future is in ouy hand. :)