1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hip pain for years disturbs sleep

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by anniebell, Feb 15, 2023.

1. anniebell

anniebell New Member

Hello there - I've looked around the forum for a story similar to mine, but haven't found one that really fit, so here goes...

In the early 2000s, I suddenly started having terrible recurring back pain, which would flare up every few months for no apparent reason and leave me bedridden for days. After several years of trying various traditional treatments, I read Dr. Sarno's books. After following his instructions for a couple of months, the pain disappeared and has never returned. So I am a big believer in the his approach.

Six or seven years ago, I very gradually started experiencing pain in my right hip which would only happen at night after I had fallen asleep. Over time, the pain, while not severe, would wake me up and result in restless a sleep. The pain is a diffuse, achy feeling that goes from the mid point of my outer right hip to about half way down the outside of my thigh (the IT Band). Walking up hill and vigorous yoga classes during the day sometimes makes it worse.

Over the past several years, I have been to GPs, physiotherapists, an osteopath and an acupuncturist. Xrays taken in 2019 came back negative, only saying that "soft tissues and osseous structures appear normal" and that there is "mild joint space narrowing." I didn't think it was likely to be TMS because it didn't happen at all during waking hours and in no way affected my physical abilities, such as strength, range of motion, etc. A couple of months ago, a new osteopath did some "electroshock therapy" on the hip which seemed to help a bit and suggested I do some ball rolling on the tight muscles at home. Interestingly, this hasn't helped the pain much but has made it move around -- both to the hamstring and to the other hip. When this happened, I thought of Dr. Sarno saying that having the pain move around is often a sign of TMS.

Before I begin re-reading his books with my hip (instead of back) in mind, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced TMS as something that specifically happened after they had fallen asleep or if achy hips while lying down was a typical TMS issue.

Thanks!

2. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I think most of us who have a lot of experience will tell you that it doesn't matter how your specific symptom presents. TMS comes in a million forms.

You just have to start treating it as if it is TMS.

Ellen, anniebell and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. anniebell

anniebell New Member

Thanks for your response, Enrique. I guess the thing that's got me a bit mixed up is that the pain comes almost only when I am fast asleep and awakens me from sleep. Does it make sense that it's still TMS? I guess that's why I haven't suspected TMS all these years. But maybe that's the subconscious at work?

4. Tomi

Tomi Peer Supporter

I just saw your post anniebell, and wanted to reassure you that night pain can definitely be TMS. I have nightly hip and back pain, which wakes me up. The pain moves around (sometimes both hips, sometimes back, sometimes down leg) and have been assessed by a TMS practitioner, who has confirmed TMS. I have had everything checked out with scans and blood tests. In fact night pain is said to be more common than you would think. One of the coaches on the Tell Me About Your Pain facebook community said that it is very common. It's when the unconscious mind is active and the conscious mind is not there to control it. In one of John Sarno's books - i think "Healing Back Pain" he actually mentions a patient who had pain at 3 am every night and he commented that this was clearly a case of conditioning.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. anniebell

anniebell New Member

Hi Tomi -- I greatly appreciate your reply. What you describe is very much like what I experience -- i.e. pain changing from one side to the other and sometimes down the leg, etc. You've really helped validate my belief that this is indeed TMS and therefore that Dr. Sarno's approach will work. Thanks so much again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Sharada Devi

Sharada Devi New Member

Hi Anniebell, Our brain is working all night, the conscious parts might be asleep, but the other parts not so much. It has been my experience that an emotional issue, and we know that's what drives TMS, can churn away at night. If you are sure the hip is structurally sound and you have no other underlying health issues, then you're dealing with TMS. Sarno's book is a great place to start.
    Good Luck.

Tomi and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Tomi

Tomi Peer Supporter

You are welcome. I'm so glad it was helpful.

anniebell likes this.
  8. anniebell

anniebell New Member

Thanks very much, Sharada. My hip works beautifully during the day, so I am convinced it is TMS. I like what you say about emotional issues "churning away at night." This will be a helpful thing to remember in the middle of the night when I am awoken, rather than "this hurts and I don't like it." And I am returning to Sarno's book to reacquaint myself with the way to handle the pain. Thank you again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.