1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Hiding emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

Had to take a few days off since I got sick. Ugh the viral infection kicked my butt.

Think of a person in your life from whom you hide your emotions. What is preventing you from telling this person how you feel?

I hide one secret from my wife that is an addiction. This addiction started around the age of 15 and has never give up since. Several attempts have been made to quit but nothing has ever worked. The first step is probably admitting that there is a problem going on.

Probably the fear of being rejected or looked at differently. She believes in marriage for life and is very welcome to helping others. Losing her respect would be hard to come clean and admit the problem going on. I'm trying again to wean away from the addiction and see how it goes. Although I don't think I'll be able to do it without someone keeping me accountable. Would reaching out to someone for help work better? Talking to a therapist? Or just coming clean?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ryan. You are not the only person who has lived with an addiction for a long time. I have one, too, but would never tell anyone about it. If your addiction doesn't threaten your marriage, I wouldn't tell your wife about it. Leave sleeping dogs sleep. You sure have me curious about what your addiction is. Fortunately for me, I outgrew mine.