1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone dealt with scarring?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by North Star, Dec 6, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Has anyone halted TMS- related scar tissue from growing? One of my more painful (and quite disfiguring) issues is a massive scar (keloid) that arose from a very small scar. (Which incidentally was caused by a chest tube placement after a horrific car accident many years ago.)

It started growing when I was pregnant with my firstborn, 20 years ago. I read in some of Dr. Schubiner's material that painful scars are a TMS equivalent and shouted "EUREKA!" I've long suspected it there was a mindbody connection but couldn't quite get my mind around it. (I've always thought it was indicating that while a wound might be closed over, it isn't necessarily healed.)

I've had every medical and snake oil treatment known to mankind done to treat this thing and it continues on its destructive path.

If you've never seen a keloid, the scars are ropey, red and very angry looking. (Isn't that interesting? Ha) They're notoriously hard to treat.

I think it's slowing down (when it's eating up healthy tissue, the pain is knife-like so you can tell when it's growing). The attacks seem to have slowed down.

I would love to know if anyone has had this issue successfully resolve. It would be very encouraging. :)

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

For regular scar tissue I can say this:

About seven years ago, at the urging of my Rolfer, I traveled to Boulder to attend the Rolf Institute. I went through 2 of the 3 classes (the first lasting 6 weeks, the 2nd lasting 9 weeks). It was a severely negative experience in that their ethics did not align with mine on so many levels. For this reason, I declined to sink any more money into the endeavor (it was painfully expensive) However, I did obtain many insights and intriguing theories. They claim that scar tissue can be diminished significantly by their methods. Scar tissue is connective tissue gone rogue (my own image of it). It is flexible, though tough. In rolfing, the intent is to break up the tissue. We do that all the time when we've been sitting too long and we feel that 'stiffness' and streeeetch it out. That stiffness is (supposedly) connective tissue that has formed over the 'still' muscles. When it is broken up, it dissolves and is absorbed harmlessly back into the body.

For keloid, I do not have any suggestions, but I did want to offer my support and healing energy to your quest. You are so strong and so knowledgeable and you are a 'seeker'. I envision the warm embrace of angel wings wrapping around you with whispers of love pouring into your ears.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

3. North Star

Sweet Lily Rose, Your comment made me teary. This is why.

I've had a very difficult time trying to envision a positive imagery picture for this scar. For my other aches and pains, I could picture healing waters or other pictures. But when it came to this scar...I'd come up blank.

Until a few weeks ago. I was wrestling with trying to get a healing picture when I pictured, quite out of the blue, I saw a hand laying down over this scar. It was a big hand because it covered the whole scar. (This thing is longer than the breath of my fingers stretched out from pinky to thumb!) Anyhoo. I thought, "Hmmmm...this is curious. What is this?"

The gentle answer I felt come back was, "Love." (Makes me a little teary just typing that.) Just like what you were envisioning, yes?

Thank you for following the gentle prompt to speak such loving words to me. xo

Lily Rose likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

You girls are really helping each other with the advice and compassion you give each other.

Imaging healing waters or a hand of Love covering the scar are great.

North Star, do you mind saying where the scar tissue is?
    Can it be safely or comfortably covered?

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

The scars on my face from high altitude sun exposure have disappeared since I started the SEP, Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain and various forms of mindfulness meditation and breathing exercises. Must be something to that healing at the cellar level. Had 'em five years ago. Now they're just not there anymore and my face is smooth again. Sounds a lot like Bruce Lipton.

North Star likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Bruce, glad to hear your face is okay again.
    Mindfulness meditation and breathing are two things that keep working great for me.

7. North Star

Bruce, That is so good to hear! I have listened to some of Lipton's lectures and they are mind blowing.

Walt, my scar traverses from the side of breast and wraps around to my back - 6 or 7" in length. It's nearly an inch wide in some spots and sends off new runners in different directions. If this thing ever settles down, I could be the poster child for TMS healing...complete with graphic "before" pictures.

Yes, it is covered except for when I wear my swimsuit. (I'm in the pool a lot so that's regularly.) I'm sure the sight of it peaking out from underneath my Speedo tank has left more than one shocked at my disfigurement. ;) (I'm saying that tongue in cheek because I know things could be much, much worse.)

I continue in daily journaling, meditation and breathing exercises. Guided imagery everyday too.

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi North Star,
    I don't have the experience of healing a growing scar, but I'm convinced it can be done. I'm wondering if you have explored the emotional issues surrounding the car accident that resulted in the scar? Is there unresolved anger--therefore an "angry scar"? I would look there and journal about it as part of the "thinking psychologically, not physically" advice from Sarno.

I imagine it is quite distressing to see a scar growing on your body. It never ceases to amaze me what our unconscious can do. Of course that means we can undo it too. Wishing you the best with dealing with this challenge.

9. North Star

I've pondered psychology behind the scar off and on for many years. Even before I knew about TMS. I have zilch memory of the accident or even the time leading up to the actual impact but the friend who was with me in the car said it was pretty horrible. I'm told the jaws of life extracted me from the vehicle. My friend suffered from nightmares for years so I've always been grateful that I don't remember. I'm confident that had it not been for the quick response, I would not be sitting here typing this.

Could it be that there is suppressed memory/unresolved anger from this trauma? I had a skull fracture/concussion...so that's a bit of mind bender to think of the memories being stored. I will have to free write about this in my journal. THanks for the thought provoking question, Ellen.

The scar IS distressing at times...especially when it's hurting. But I usually try to frame it as an opportunity to give thanks that I'M ALIVE. But man, I would love for this thing to go away.

10. BruceMC

Good advice, Ellen.

11. yoyo12

yoyo12 Peer Supporter

Hi Bruce, this is really mindblowing! I'm currently in pain with sore, dry eyes, but it's mostly the cosmetic nature of my issue that is causing me the most (mental) pain: bloodshot and veiny eye whites. It has made me extremely self-conscious to a point I don't leave the house anymore. Do you think things of a cosmetic nature that are causing us pain can be treated as TMS too? The issues with my eyes really came up out of nowhere and doctors say there's nothing wrong with my eyes. (You can read my background story here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/eye-issues-ruining-my-life-tms.15903/#post-83221 (Eye issues ruining my life. TMS?) ) I'd really appreciate any feedback on this! :)

12. BruceMC

Well, 'dry eyes' does seem to develop when people are under stress in their lives or workplace. But I swear almost any symptom can emerge during periods of stress and then become a conditioned (learned) behavior. I do notice that I seem to have sharper vision and better depth perception after doing mindfulness meditation for 15 minutes twice per diem. Of course, this may be wholly subjective on my part since I haven't been given before and after meditation eye tests.

13. jgray01

jgray01 New Member

North Star! You may not realize the significance of your post about the hand and the scar. This is very common talk in Christian circles. God is Love. He removes past scars. TMS has been huge for me and really helped me understand the science behind the scripture. Understanding TMS helped me realize I don’t have to accept pain and it’s a lie (what the Bible says), but God went past that. It changed my view of myself in every way to one of complete acceptance because I was loved perfectly and my past was no more.

1 John 4:8 says God is Love. 1 John 4:16 says, “
    So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.“

Jeremiah 30:17 - I will restore your health and heal your wounds.

You literally had a vision of Jesus’ hand and God spoke to you in that moment. Not uncommon. But pSo cool.