1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Yips

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MSCam, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MSCam

MSCam Newcomer

I've been an avid golfer (don't roll your eyes, golf really is a great game) for most of my life and developed the putting yips a few years ago. For those of you who are not familiar with the affliction... it is an involuntary jerking motion or tremor through your hand/arm when the golfer attempts to stroke short putts. People who get this affliction are typically better players over the age of 40. There have been many pro golfers that have been inflicted with the yips and have been driven from the game (Ian Baker Finch, Charlie Wi). The problem is that good golfers are expected to make short putts... especially if you are a better golfer, so the pressure gets higher and higher when attempting short putts. Some of the attributes of golfers with the Yips are perfectionists, have high expectations of themselves, try to control situations, are concerned about what others think about them... which seems to match the perfect profile of someone with TMS. By the way, I read Mindbody Perscription more than 15 years ago and it eliminated my re-occurring debilitating back pain for over 10 years. Honestly, I forgot about the TMS treatment approach.

In the last year I took it upon myself to find a cure for the putting yips. I've read numerous books on sports psychology, self-esteem, confidence, mindfulness, meditation, visualization, neuro-linguistic programming, putting techniques and others... then I came across a youtube of Howard Stern raving about Dr Sarno. It reminded me of my own struggles with back pain. I decided to use the TMS techniques to see if it could help my putting yips issue... and voila! The yips magically disappeared in the last month.

Now the question I have is... could this just be a placebo response since I've completely bought into TMS treatment... or could curing the putting yips be another application of TMS treatment? I haven't heard of anyone treating the golfing yips as a TMS-related issue. I'm excited about the possibilities and intend to test my hypothesis with other golfers. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback on the approach.