1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

"Fibromyalgia"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by happystar, May 14, 2012.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a great post from forest, how he was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and then overcame it.
    And the way he did it, Awesome
    Thanks.
    What does everyone else think?

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

To quote myself! But Happystar, I ran into that same woman a couple of weeks ago and she was walking at a much brisker pace. I asked her, "How are you and your daughter getting along"? And she replied they were happily working together remodeling her house. Bingo! Obviously, her TMS symptoms had gone way down after she settled her family feud. Like Steve Ozanich says, TMS always has something to do deep down with some unresolved family issue (not that they're always so obvious as this one).

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thats an awesome report on the lady BruceMC, so good to hear. This fibro stuff has so many people thinking their life is over and that is whats being spread main stream.
    This is some deep stuff really, I mean you got evidence that this is emotional issues. I mean evidence that heals and you will still sit there and tell them that this is going to be for life and its a no win situation is sad.
    It's so easy to make something into a fact now days -- as always I guess. If you want a fact just make sure you have plenty of money and some scientist with high degrees that you can get on your company pay roll list for about two years and you have a fact. Wow -- All of this is my personal thoughts guys. It's not meant to be aimed at anyone. I just get awe struck when I see my family members and their all in their early to mid 40s and the way they look, tired, worn out and ragged.
    It's really getting to me to see them like this.
    I most defiantly have to get to Texas quick. I know life is real whether they take my advice or not and I love them just for who they are but I feel like they are just slowly passing -- by what they don't know and don't care to know -- that's hard to watch.

4. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Id just like to add this to this post for anyone who wonders whether fibromyalgia is tms. (I THINK IT MOST CERTAINLY IS)

Fibromyalgia has been recognized as a diagnosable disorder by the US National Institutes of Health and the American College of Rheumatology. On the other hand, Dr. Frederick Wolfe, the researcher credited with its discovery, has stated he believes that it is "clearly" not a disease but instead a physical response to depression and stress. Fibromyalgia, a central nervous system disorder, is described as a "central sensitization syndrome" caused by neurobiological abnormalities which act to produce physiological pain and cognitive impairments as well as neuro-psychological symptomatology. Despite this, there is controversy as to the cause and nature of fibromyalgia, as well as how patients are described by those in the medical community.

There is also another site where Dr Wolfe answered this question.

What is currently known about the causes of fibromyalgia?

The causes are controversial in a sense. Some of the best work in this area has been done by the UK groups. The UK groups have used validated epidemiological methods to study something called chronic widespread pain. This is one of the central characteristics of fibromyalgia.

What they found is that psychological features, childhood deprivation and features like that are determinants. Their work has been really very good. They have used some great UK data that was collected generations ago and they were able to get their hands on this data and find out what happened to the people.

They could then link childhood deprivation, trauma, sexual abuse and things like that. They found that people that had those things were more likely to develop widespread pain. We also know that familial depression is higher in people that have this sort of disorder.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I was watching tv for the weather this morning and another of the stupid commercials came on
    for something to treat fibrymyalgia and it reminded me to see Healing Back Pain where Dr. Sarno says:
    "Failing to find any laboratory abnormality some doctors often conclude that the disorder (muscular
    rheumatism, chronic aches and pains, disturbed sleep and morning stiffness which they call
    fibromyalgia) is 'psychological.'"

Sarno says "Through the diagnosis of fibromyalgia is being made with increasing frequency,
    the cause of the disorder is still said to be unknown."

The cause, he knew and we have come to know, is TMS.

6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

HappyStar, I scored a perfect 18 out of 18 on the trigger point test for fibro so yeah….I'm familiar with it. I know that I know that it is severe TMS - I fit the profile for it hand in glove. I remind myself when I grow impatient (as I am today given that I've in the midst of a pretty severe symptom flare) that I didn't get into the mess over night and I don't think it's going to resolve overnight. The doctor who diagnosed me is a pretty awesome doc but I don't know that he's aware of TMS. Mindbody connections…yes. TMS? Not so sure. He sent me off with a Lyrica prescriptions and a few painkillers. None of it did squat. (Other than gaining a few pounds on Lyrica.)

Rich, what an interesting article you referenced. It's good to hear there is a growing awareness of the mindbody connection with fibro.

7. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

NorthStar- like most people in chronic pain I have researched to death answers and i have read alot about fibromyalgia. Every now and then I remember an article or something I have read in the past. I dont think its healthy anymore to search for answers so I dont do it but I do think its healthy to read unbiased reports and articles that gives the backup to fibromyalgia being a mindbody syndrome. I think it helps to see that professionals that arent in the tms circle or even know about it are saying things as in the article I mentioned.

8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I totally hear what you're saying, Richsimm22! I have to stop myself from wandering into research mode and limit my reading to discussions here and especially the success stories. (Or Dr. Sarno's or SteveO's book.)

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yes, I totally agree Richsimms22. That is some great info. Very often I look for Drs. that aren't tied in with the Tms community at all and are mostly structurally taught but they will often run into Real proven studies that basically say the same thing as the Tms community. I wonder though, why do they look to the body after they already know its emotional? hum.

----------------------------------------------

This is what Dr. Wolfe said in the article

Dr. Frederick Wolfe, the director of the National Databank for Rheumatic Diseases and the lead author of the 1990 paper that first defined the diagnostic guidelines for fibromyalgia, says he has become cynical and discouraged about the diagnosis. He now considers the condition a physical response to stress, depression, and economic and social anxiety.

“Some of us in those days thought that we had actually identified a disease, which this clearly is not,” Dr. Wolfe said. “To make people ill, to give them an illness, was the wrong thing.”

You can find the whole article here. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/h...rtner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&_r=0
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Richsimm22 likes this.