1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Eye-opening discovery/report regarding Colitis-

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Dec 23, 2015.

1. avik

avik Well known member

-From 1950!

My mother is battling Colitis now which I firmly believe is yet another TMS equivalent.

I decided to do a "Colitis Psychosomatic" Google search and this incredible report from nearly 70 years ago popped up.

Its written by a Dr. Alfred Reed who essentially implies (proves?) that psychosomatic factors were the underlying cause of Colitis in most of his patients.

The 3 page report can be found here, by clicking on "complete article" under the "Full text" section.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1520590/

Upon re-reading the Mind Body Prescription last night, Sarno mentions in the preface that the Western world in the first half of the 20th century game very close to fully embracing the concept(s) of what is now TMS/MBS, but that it ultimately fell into "total disrepute" (due in part to lab research, big pharma, etc).

I had no idea.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Awesome re-discovery, Avik - you have hit the nail on the head.

Big Pharma, indeed - the dependence upon medications in our modern world is actually quite terrifying to me - and look at how many medications fall into disrepute not long after their introduction, thanks to the BP drug pushers.

TrustIt and Balsa11 like this.
  3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Introspective and analytic techniques have fallen out of favor but that is a mistake.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My family doctor knows nothing more than what pill to prescribe for different ailments from back pain to anxiety.
    He apparently knows nothing about the MindBody connection or ignores it in favor of pills.

I learned so much from TMS reading, about how the MindBody concept works and heals us. My doctor never even told me
    about deep breathing or living in the present moment, or how a cup of hot milk works to relax me without taking any medication.

Merry Christmas to you all!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I don['t watch much television because I find most of it mindless or depressing,
    but when I do channel surf I notice how most commercials are for pharmaceuticals.
    It seems everyone is in pain or anxiety or depressed.

Since I stopped watching the nightly news, my spirits have lifted way up.

I am a former Chicago Tribune reporter and quit after seven years because I got tired of covering crime and disasters.
    Now all that is even more graphic on tv news. What used to be a small item in the newspaper now has live television coverage
    that can go on for weeks or longer.

Try watching less television. It will make you feel better. If you do watch tv, watch old movies, especially comedies.

Balsa11, JanAtheCPA and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. avik

avik Well known member

Ahhh Big Pharma and their commercials.
    What a scam.
    They make the Mexican Cartels look like amateurs.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm with you Walt, used to be a news-junky but no longer watch it--nothing changes--the carpet-bagger politicians are all crooks--they could be making people's lives better but spend their time stashing our taxes in their off-shore bank accounts.

Yes many commercials for drugs--and as many more by ambulance chasing law firms suing the drugs.

I only watch Tennis Channel or motor sports--if anything important happens, I'll hear about it in the hot-tub or feel the earth shaking. They've even politicized the weather here in kali, last year it was a drought--so they raised rates and gave millions for food stamps--this years it's El Nino--it will be TOO much water--so before it's over they'll raise rates and gov. Moonbeam will give away more food-stamps to his constituency. "The more things change, the more they stay the same--Everything old so new again."

Balsa11 and avik like this.
  8. riv44

riv44 Well known member

(ahem) let's stay nonpolitical, k?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Sorry, yeah, sure, I'll be more positive: support your local crook.santahat

10. Tennis Tom

OK--let's talk about sex and religion then.

Who or what's "k"?

11. riv44

riv44 Well known member

It's 'kay. As in a stripped down okay. Text speech.

12. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

''Upon re-reading the Mind Body Prescription last night, Sarno mentions in the preface that the Western world in the first half of the 20th century game very close to fully embracing the concept(s) of what is now TMS/MBS, but that it ultimately fell into "total disrepute" (due in part to lab research, big pharma, etc).''

Correct but there is the counter argument that Doctors had written some maladies off as Psychogenic when they were real diseases. Medicine is an art and it really takes a brave and v.knowledgable Doctor to make the correct diagnosis.
    Big Pharma and market driven economics have polluted the purity of the art but have also resulted in some tremendous leaps forward. I like the analogy used by one of the mindbody Physicians(I can't remember who')

Mindbody techniques are just another 'leg in the stool' along with nutrition, surgery, exercise. That said its getting harder to ignore the massive role psychosocial factors play in chronic pain. Hurrah!

Balsa11, mike2014 and riv44 like this.