1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Excellent video about IBS

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Sienna, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

I found it very interesting how a conventional doctor explains so well the mind-gut connection and offers hipnotherapy and other treatments as a solution to heal.

I find that IBS needs more than journalling, what is your experience?

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, I'll give it a watch. I've not suffered it as badly as some. But from the mild bout I've experienced I found a combination of journalling, various breathing techniques, including those of deep abdominal breathing to be most beneficial.

Sienna likes this.
  3. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Thank you Mike,
    Where can I learn about breathing techniques? I only use the common abdominal breath learnt in yoga.

4. mike2014

Sienna likes this.
  5. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Thanks a tone, I will have a look at them,
    Merry Christmas!

mike2014 likes this.
  6. hopeful03

hopeful03 New Member

Thanks for sharing this video. I watched a few of her other links and she talked about foods to eliminate. I've heard this same advice from others and honestly at this point, it seems like someone who suffers from IBS should just not eat anything. Although there is a list of food you can have, it is so limiting. This in turn can be stressful, because you have to constantly think about what you're eating and the ingredients in your food. You can't go out with family and friends for dinner and just be comfortable. It's clear that TMS sufferers are heavily affected by what they hear, and hence this information gets imprinted in our brains. So we worry, and we worry excessively. However, I've seen a few people on this forum discuss MBS being the main and only trigger for symptoms, not food. So I'm a little confused. Is it a mind-body connection, or a diet issue? I get discouraged by this fact and I don't know what to do. I don't like when people tell me it's a combination of both either, because I don't know what that means. I'm not even a foodie, but these elimination diets just make me miserable because I stress out about what I should and shouldn't eat. I've never had any intolerances to food until my 20s, when my life "stresses" began and I'm not sure how the body suddenly "develops" intolerances. If anyone with more insight can explain this, I would be appreciative.

7. mike2014

Hi Hopeful, I agree about the dieteray changes, it does become difficult. But I think once you've changed the diet into a strict one and the gut and mind are 'calm', one can look at meditation (to change ones relationship with fear, stress), yoga journalling etc to reverse out any food intollerances. Over a period of time and as ones physiology normalises one can start reintroducing food.

To answer your questions, I think emotions are the primary causation of mind body illnesses, but to reverse certain types of physiological change, we must adopt a means which utilises our second mind aswell (I.E the one in our gut). After all, a healthy gut, is a healthy mind and vice versa.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Grateful17 likes this.