1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PositivelyIrish, Mar 12, 2018.

1. PositivelyIrish

PositivelyIrish New Member

I just completed day 6 and while I have no problem getting my thoughts down on paper in the form of journaling I had expected much more emotion. I have had fibromyalgia for 11 years and really want this program to succeed for me, I believe TMS is the root cause of my pain & fatigue. So far I have written about two quite painful events in my life and I had expected to be in a bad way emotionally but bar my body feeling stressed I felt very little to no emotion. Is this usual at this early stage? Any advice? thanks

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't worry, this is entirely normal. Think of it like this, those experiences and the emotions associated with them have been locked away in deep freeze emotional storage. When you journal you lift them out of this freezer, pop them down and begin to note what you see and what memories it evokes.

Slowly the ice block begins to melt and the finer details previously obscured by ice thaw, invoking deeper recall and expression.

The emotional life is organic so be patient with yourself and trust in the process. You'll be fine.

Plum x

Durga likes this.
  3. PositivelyIrish

PositivelyIrish New Member

Thankyou for your response, it has given me hope that I am moving in the right direction. Great analogy :)

4. Celestialstar

Celestialstar New Member

Yes. You are in a state of acceptance regarding those events. You had to move on with your life - self preservation is a powerful thing we all require in order to just keep going. So you have wrung the emotion right out of those situations and are able to write about them from a distance.

I suspect as you continue to write about them, you will notice small details that stick out in your mind. Things you aren't sure why you recall, things that don't seem like a big deal or things that seem unfair, given the situation, to think.

You know the core of your story and you have written about it. Try exploring all of the veins of it, even if they seem small and trivial. I like to write letters to the people who were involved and then delete them afterward. That was a big surprise for moment for me - when I really uncensored myself.

Keep going! It will come.

Durga likes this.