1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

DAY 21 WHY IS MY PAIN SO BAD???

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by cosmy, Jul 1, 2018.

1. cosmy

cosmy New Member

I don’t want to dissappoint anybody, but I need support!!! I am dissappointed, confused and scared that I will never get rid of these symptoms!!! My pain is debilitating and the further I go into the program, the worse it is and the harder it becomes for me to deal with it!!! I feel like I have no more strenghts to move on and I am afraid that I’m going to lose the battle! What is going on??? What is it that I’m doing wrong???

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't despair, dear @cosmy . For most of us, recovery from TMS takes time. We have to unlearn a lifetime of unhelpful psychological habits and tendencies, and then develop a more positive and healthy way of being in the world. This is no cakewalk and it isn't a straight path. There will be progress and the occasional set back along the way. Be patient and persistent in following the SEP. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. Keep reading about TMS and doing treatment, but limit this to about an hour a day. Try to find some joy in your life to distract you from the TMS while you are working to get better. Keep living your life. You are on the right path. Recovery is possible.

cosmy and plum like this.
  3. cosmy

cosmy New Member

Thank you very much for your encouragement Ellen, i am so desperate because 2 years ago I put myself in a psychiatric hospital because I had a lot of somatic pain throghout my body. They gave me anti-depressants and I was on them until this spring.
    I got better 2 years ago but, the pains then moved to my digestive system. I’ve since undergone many tests which have all had negative results and the pain had lodged itself in my throat. It’s a tension/construction and burning sensation. I’ve re-done all the previous tests and others, again with negative results. The last doctor suggested they were phantom limb pain and suggested hypnotherapy along with 25 mg of amitryptaline. I’ve been doing both for over a month, along with the program. Initially my pain decreased but, at the start of the 2nd week, it has come back with a vengeance. I’ve tried to cope with it but, the stress had made me smoke a lot and i’m now scared i’m not going to be able to do this without going back on anti-depressants. I don’t know what to do now and whether I should have started the program without having the support of a psychotherapist and taking anti- depressants, considering I had big anxiety problems 3 years ago. I thought I was going to be brave and able to do this program without this other support. I’m scared about the level of my pain and anxiety and I don’t sleep anymore and I’m scared that I’m going to end up in the hospital like 2 years ago and I won’t be able to finish the program. I am going to talk with my doctor about going back on anti-depressants and seeing a psychotherapist.
    If you or anyone else on this forum, has had experience of this, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Angel, there is no right or wrong way to do the program or to heal. There is only the way that works best for you. In addition to @Ellen's sage reply, I would suggest that given how vulnerable you feel right now it may be a good idea to enlist the appropriate support. It's ok to pause and set this up before continuing. As Ellen explains the path is not easy or linear for most people so be kind to yourself about this. Lots of people require meds and additional support along the way.

Speak with doctor and let us know how that goes.

Hugs,

Plum x

cosmy and Ellen like this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I took an anti-depressant all throughout my recovery from TMS. It won't hinder your progress, and as @plum says, it could be what you need to support you through the process. There is no requirement that you not take medication to recover from TMS. That includes medication for pain. Be very kind to yourself, and take it one day at a time. Everyone has a different path to recovery and it can take a little while to find the one that is right for us.

I'm wishing you all the best.......

cosmy likes this.