1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 13 Day 13 Envy and outcome independence

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mmo4, Oct 19, 2013.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

The outcome independence idea resonates with me. I find I am envious of those people who were instantly cured by just reading Dr. Sarno's book! Wow that is not me. I guess I just need to dig deeper.

After a great day yesterday I had a flareup this am--dealing with thoughts of envy (which I have dismissed as childish for years) and stressors at home. Was disheartened by this flareup, but I regrouped, distracted myself, journaled and it decreased.

The idea of outcome independence seems particularly important for my personality traits of perfectionism and being in control--need for no bad emotions/feelings. I need to let go. Only then will I be able to see a flareup as part of the process and not a failure. Only then will my pain go away.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is such a cool post, you have all the ingredients for your cure listed.
    You've already had experience with a decrease in pain and that alone is very good for your outcome independence.

One question? - When you say (......need for no bad emotions-)
    Do you mean- you can control them now , or you never want them?

Im sure you have control over them with focusing or acceptance right.

Let me know ok, I want to help to help you here.

Anyhow, yes the flare-up is part of the process, let that go as you said above.
    Now the time will come when the pain will leave again and the flare- ups will get less and less ok
    Till you have no more or very very rarely....

Bless you.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  3. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

When I say I no bad emotions, I mean I do not accept any sadness and fear and tend to push those down which I think can (paradoxically) lead to depression and anxiety or TMS!

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is important to understand that most people do not heal simply by reading the book. This approach does take time and recovery is not a linear process. We are exposed to so many sources that keep us thinking physical, and it can be difficult to fully can confidence in this approach and overcome our own doubts. In time, though, as you continue to learn about TMS and grow you will overcome this doubt and the envy and recover. As the Outcome Independence article suggests, success is not about what your level of pain is. Success is measured by how you react to your symptoms.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Ok thanks for all of this!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.