1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Day 10-any advice about pain at night?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mmo4, Oct 16, 2013.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

It seems like my pain is shifting during the day, but a pattern has emerged-every night at 3 am I wake up and have bad pain off and on/sleep off and on until I get up. Has anyone else had this pattern? I think I read somewhere that this is when your unconscious is working on things in your sleep. The day is bearable, but I feel so much more vulnerable at night. I think it is because it is harder to occupy myself/distract from the pain. Any advice?

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi mmo4!
    Yes, I have this problem too. When I wake up with the pain, I remind myself that its not harming me, its not going to last forever. I tell it to go away. I don't need its distraction. I also check my mental state to see if I'm feeling anxious or angry. This comes up because my partner likes to watch TV in bed and suffers from insomnia. So the light or noise will wake me up. I get angry that I've been awakened and start flailing into her inconsiderateness by watching TV. The pain will come up as a result. I then take care of it by removing myself from the bedroom so I can sleep without further disturbance. But the main thing is reminding my brain that I don't need it to be working in that way anymore.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

mmo,
    So the pain has shifted to night time pain.
    Ok, when the pain starts shifting that means you have it on the run.
    Your blowing its cover and it will do anything to make you think this isn't tms.
    Now you have to stay calm and fight back by repeating positive affirmations
    like im calm , relaxed and patient.
    Just this affirmation here can help you if you stay with it long enough till
    you start to feel the emotion when you say im calm, your body should calm down.
    Then you'll say im relaxed and you'll start to feel relaxed and then patient
    calming your over sensitized nerves.
    You are fighting the good fight now, fight it with calmness and peace.

4. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Ok thanks guys this is helpful. I have noticed the pain has moved to the upper hamstring. I was actually happy about this because it is on the run!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.