1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 current stressors

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by David25, Apr 17, 2017.

1. David25

David25 Newcomer

The most helpful reminder I tell myself with the TMS approach is that over the course of a day the pain symptoms move to different parts of my body. This generally ensures that I don't feel pain in a particular area for too long. That said I do find myself becoming stressed about the fact that I still feel pain. I also find I get stressed about the fact I know my emotions are causing this and that I find it hard to keep on top of. I believe a lot of the stress is due to my current living situation. I've just started a new job, am in a terrible financial situation, living with a partner in a relationship that is struggling and also preparing to move countries back home in the next few months. I suppose with such a degree of uncertainty it's no surprise that I often focus on the physical aspects, I'm still yet to find the best approach to managing these symptoms and addressing the emotional issues that arise as a result of this stress.

2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Current stressors are a HUGE part of TMS. While we can't always change our circumstances, we can work towards our reaction to pain. The fact that your pain moves around on a daily basis should give you much confidence in the TMS diagnosis. I've seen some good tactics that have worked for others...

1. Thank your pain when it flares up. Thank it for reminding you that there are repressed emotions that are bubbling up.

2. Bully your pain. Tell your pain that it is no longer welcome. In the Sarno 20/20 video, one of the patients tells his pain "Down boy, Damn you" and it helps him.

3. Ignore the pain. This one is difficult for me, personally. But the idea of pushing through the pain is a great way to fight back for many people.

- Matt

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, David. Excellent advice from Matt. You're under relationship stress and concerned about moving out of the country. Those are bound to cause TMS emotional pain and for it to move around. Try to be patient in healing. It may not fully happen until you're resettled after the move. But just knowing you have those concernsmay convince your subconscious to let up on the pain. Tell yourself this often.