1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Confusing diagnosis

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I was having pain in my back and my upper abdominal area.this has been going on almost 10 years, I finally went to my doctors and ordered a CT scan of my abdominal area. A doctor who read CT scan said that I might have pancreatitis. My doctor told me to quit drinking alcohol, which I have. My next step was to visit a GI he did not think I had pancreatitis. He thought I had a ulcer from excessive advil intake, he than order a upper endoscopy. I did not have a ulcer he then told me I had pancreatitis. He then order another endoscopy with a ultra-sound tip. the doctor that did this procedure said I did not have pancreatitis but saw what he was a smoldering and not drink for six months. It's been 11 weeks of no alcohol and I felling some what better, my back is still hurting alot.P.S. I work for UPS. What do you think TMS or pancreatitis or just getting old I'm 54.

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi there.

It is very hard for me to tell whether or not you have a structural issue based on the information you were able to present. That said, to my knowledge, pancreatitis is fairly uncommon and it's hard to imagine it being around for 10 years without causing more severe complications.

I would continue to try to get things ruled out. Something that I would strongly recommend, especially if you have seen more docs and gotten no clear consensus, would be to invest in a visit to a TMS physician. Even if you have to fly out for a day or two, it would be worth the time and money if it provided you with be certainty that you need.

Good luck finding answers.

Best,
    Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.