1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can TMS cause a bone fracture?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sparrow, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Peer Supporter

I've had severe heel pain for 1.5 years and always attributed it to TMS. For the past 6 months I've also had severe pain in the ball of the same foot. MRI results just showed that my sesamoid is fractured! Now... can TMS (lack of blood flow and oxygen and etc) actually cause a fracture? Or have I been duped into thinking my pain was TMS when I've actually had a fractured foot for 6 months?

The fracture doesn't seem logical to me though. I'm very active and athletic (even despite the heel pain), how could my foot bone be so weak to fracture from regular use? And there was never a moment of injury to the ball of my foot during activity. It just became sore after stretching one day. Perhaps because of the heel pain I was compensating with the ball of my foot? Or is that kind of stuff not true?

Appreciate your time.

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Fractures can also be caused by overuse, osteoporosis, etc. It’s possible that something like overuse is playing a role here, especially since this has been going on for half a year and your typical physical activity has not ceased. TMS won’t cause actual fractures, but once a fracture is medically cleared as 100% healed, TMS can cause pain to linger.

It’s unfair, but some of us are more prone to overuse injuries than others. I’ve got Ehlers-Danlos and am the same way (I’m not saying you have Ehlers!). I would not use the TMS approach to heal your fracture. Some people with active fractures have gotten confused by stories of TMS causing pain in fully healed fractures and tried the mind-body approach - the results are never positive for unhealed injuries.

I hope your sesamoid feels better soon! Once your medical team confirms that it’s completely healed, let us know if you continue to feel pain - we’ve got lots of tips.

Sparrow likes this.