1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can chronic plantar fasciitis be TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, thanks for researching Dr. Scholl! Looks like the medical/industrialization of sore feet started in 1906, co-incident with the assembly line, standing on one's feet all day slapping parts together. Prior to my TMS enlightenment I spent $1000 on custom orthotics from the top running doctor in Marin. They hurt like hell and been collecting dust for years. On the advice of my tennis coach I now use some Spenco insoles with arches that cost a fraction and do as much as the custom orthotics (if anything) but it keeps my coach happy.

Cheers,
    tt

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tennis Tom.

One of my college vacation jobs was serving the parts to the women on the assembly line at
    a factory that made electric frying pans. The women were on their feet for 8 hours and one of them
    said that she spent her vacation in bed in a hospital just so she would be able to take another year on the line.

Not a very good way to live, and back then, in the 1970s, I don't think she knew much about shoes and orthotics.

One of my best friends was classified 4F because he had flat feet. It kept him out of the Korean and Vietnam Wars
    although he otherwise was one of the healthiest guys I ever knew. I served my two years in the army and did my
    share of marching, but have never understood why flat feet kept a guy home, safe, and working.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Lotus and Enrique like this.
  4. resplendent elk

resplendent elk New Member

Hi All,

Since there isn't too much stuff on this forum on plantar fasciitis, I thought I'd add my story.

I had a long bout of TMS before, lasting about 1-1/2 years in 2009, which manifested itself as achilles tendinitis. That disappeared pretty much immediately after reading Sarno's books. I had been a real skeptic, as I'm not into non-traditional medicine. In fact when my doctor recommended the book I was mildly offended and didn't look at it for several months. Only out of desperation did I give it a shot.

So I was already sold on the mind-body connection idea when I came down with a really bad case of plantar fasciitis after running the NYC Marathon in 2014, but I didn't think it was actually psychosomatic this time. Maybe at the onset it wasn't - who knows? The same doctor did not make the TMS diagnosis this time (and I didn't ask) so I just went to PT, rested, stopped running, iced, stretched, took Advil... etc.

All along, I thought it could be TMS, but I figured if it really was, it should start going away once I made that connection. And it didn't.

It's now almost two years later. This PF has really f---ed up my running, obviously, and really hurt my life. I can't play with my kids as I would like to. I can't stand and just talk to someone comfortably. It sucks!

Well a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd start reading The Mind-Body Prescription again. After 2 days the pain completely disappeared.

I am flabbergasted.

I am actually kind of really disappointed with myself. But I'm also SO HAPPY to get rid of that pain.

Actually, a funny thing: I now have pain in my butt. I can't sit comfortably. This is exactly the kind of thing Sarno describes happening in his patients. I think he calls it the "symptom imperative" or something.

Anyhow that's my story.

Background: I'm a 45 year old dude. I have a stressful job and two small kids and a wife who is herself a constant bundle of stress. I basically have no time to myself and am working to support others emotionally and financially from the moment I wake up at 6:00 until 10:00 at night when I try to go to bed. So yeah, perfect candidate for this s---.

I hope that in writing this I can help anyone else stuck with an "injury" that won't go away. Remember: injuries should heal. If they don't - look for reasons why. Good luck and thanks to all the people who post their stories here.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for resurrecting this thread RE. I reread my earlier post in it and it reminded me of my left foot that would be sore for the first few minutes of getting on the court, I'd forgotten all about it. It's gone now, I didn't get too worked up about it at the time, thought it was maybe another TMS symptom and in a few minutes it would disappear. If I'd gotten worried about it, I'd be off to the podiatrists and they'ed be prescribing $500 orthotics. I played through it and now it's another possible TMS symptom checked off the list.

7. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

My sis has recently gotten PF and even better, is a Doctor who has just begun her GP training...which is like a family physician in the UK. I know for sure its likelya TMS variant but trying to get this message across coming from me might be difficult. useful thread

8. SFscribe

SFscribe Peer Supporter

Absolutely TMS. What's really interesting is that if you look on non-TMS-related PF forums, like this one - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/plantar-fasciitis-any-success-tipsstories (Plantar Fasciitis - Any success tips/stories? « Singletrack Forum) - they all point to PF being TMS! All the subject lines are in the realm of "Chronic PF" or "Help - I've tried everything" or "PF for 4 years", etc... and then you will see people who post about their PF magically going away or only going away after they returned to running or physical activity. These people don't know the TMS terminology of course, but they describe the TMS process to a tee :) TMS is the real deal and PF is absolutely TMS.

Enrique likes this.
  9. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

This post makes logical sense in that structural issues should NOT last three years but, what about structural issues that occur gradually over time, an inevitable consequence of aging and wear and tear? Dr. Sarno says these changes are "natural" and rarely cause symptoms. I'm still having so much trouble figuring out the true origin of my pain syndrome... Is it one or more than one source? Is it my overwrought nervous system issue due to chronic anxiety, brought on by chronic pain? Is it aging? Neural pathways from my stressful past and present? I've probably spent more time contemplating this crisis I'm in over the past 3 years more than I've ever given thought to anything else that's ever happened to me in 50 years of life.. You'd think I'd have found my way out by now.. Even with the assistance of professional counsel, I have not been successful. Maybe I'm just not sane anymore. Pain is a THIEF! It eats away at joy, humor, motion and healthy, quality of life. The one thing I hate most in the world is people who have said to me.. "oh well, so you have pain, you'll get USED to it."... HOW can any human being EVER be expected to "get used" to chronic pain.. For 30, 40 years?? Dr. Hanscom mentions the basic human needs of people and states "NOT being in pain" as a basic human NEED. It simply isn't NATURAL to hurt 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Dr. Sarno said TMS is benign, but what about the anxiety of being on pain every minute? Month after month, then years? If the continual stress response causes cortisol and adrenaline nonstop release, it means chronic inflammation... Leading to arthritis, diabetes, organ damage... This fear (if one suffers from hypochondria) is enough to keep someone stuck in the "ring of fire", as Dr. Hanscom calls it.
    My apologies for the long ramble, I do want to mention, I had long standing Plantar Fasciitis also(one of my multiple afflictions over the past 3 years.) MRI showed edema along calcaneal attachment consistent with my Podiatrist's diagnosis... What should have, according to western medicine taken 6 months to resolve with treatment, took me 18 months!! (and I still have episodes with it if I walk "excessive" distance...)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. run_girl_run

run_girl_run Newcomer

Hi Lunarlass.

First, I'm sorry to hear that your pain is so sucky and draining so much joy from your life. Pain is real and it really does suck.

I'd like to say a few things in response to your post. This is actually my first ever post on this forum, even though I've lurked on and off for years. I'm a long-term TMSer who has successfully resolved a number of really debilitating issues (wrist RSI, regular migraines, lower back pain, SPD/pubic symphesis disorder/achilles tendonitis, anxiety disorder, calf strains and at least one bout of PF!). I was lurking on this thread again because I have another PF bout and I need to remind myself of the realities of TMS every now and then :)

I can see that your pain is accomplishing what it needs to in you – keeping you bound up, wound up in the hunt for a cure. You feel as though you must discover the 'root cause' of your pain in order for it to resolve. I can tell you: you don't. It can help, but it's not necessary, and the hunt for it (and the pressure, desperation and anxiety that surround 'getting to the core of it') just adds to the whole issue.

The main things to I have found vital to remember are these points:
    1. Your pain is real, but it is harmless. That is, it is not doing further damage to your body, despite feelings to the contrary. It really isn't. This thought may take a while to move from conscious acceptance to subconscious. I've found a combination of working on thoughts AND challenging the body via gradated return to normal activities the best way to convince my brain of this each time a TMS issue rolls around!
    2. Fear of the pain is one of the biggest contributors to its perpetuation. Most of the fear revolves around worry that it's NOT benign, and/or that it's going to stop you doing something you love (ie catastrophising about the future). But really, if you do trust that the pain is benign, and you don't let it stop you from doing the things you love, then it stops having power. This has sometimes taken a while for me, but it always resolved bouts of pain eventually.
    3. Anxiety is actually another form of TMS. It took me a long time to accept this. But basically, my brain REALLY wants to distract me from some deep-seated fears and threats (which I've never clearly identified – doesn't matter). Keeping the mind buzzing obsessively is a great way to do it – almost as good as keeping it focused on pain! It can be hard to unseat constant hypervigilance but it's possible. I needed to see a psychologist for a few years. Not a TMS one, but it was brilliant. I can now detach from my worries a bit a realise they are not always indicative of reality – just like pain is not usually an indicator of tissue damage.

BTW, I also had edema on my PF scans (and visible swelling). It still resolved with no rhyme or reason. Time off from running didn't see the pain resolve, so I just went back to running despite the pain and it went away at some point (can't even put my finger on when!). It appears that swelling, edema, redness and those kinds of things can all be part of the TMS package. I'll be taking the same approach with my new bout – I treat it as an acute injury for about 6 weeks, but if it's not resolved by then I accept that my brain has co-opted it for its own 'protective' purposes and I move into TMS extermination mode :)

I wish you well on your journey to freedom from pain.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Lotus likes this.