1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can a massage make you feel worse?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cat Lady 13, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

Has anyone had the experience where massage make you feel worse? I have deep tissue massages once a month but they really don't seem to help my neck or back and sometimes make it worse. I used to feel like they helped but the effects are so short lived now. I started getting them more frequently but that didn't seem to make much difference.

I don't take any meds anymore and I am wondering if the massages are really just another thing I should stop since it doesn't necessarily help.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes...i've had a massage or two that made me feel worse afterwards, unfortunately. They won't really do much for TMS except maybe temporarily. There's no point in continuing if they don't help! Pain meds, massage, PT for TMS pain, etc- all are forms of temporary relief (I like to compare to taking Tylenol for a fever) but won't address the true cause of the pain.

3. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

Yes I agree. I used to really enjoy my massages but since I have had TMS they don't really help and make my sciatica worse sometimes.

I have a massage membership so I have been going for years. Maybe the temporary relief and relaxation is still worth it. But I might be able to get the same results as I get better at meditation and it's free!

fredb likes this.